Myoga Ginger, Edible Ginger, Variegated Japanese Ginger 'Dancing Crane'

Zingiber mioga

Family: Zingiberaceae
Genus: Zingiber (zing-ee-ber) (Info)
Species: mioga

Sammamish, Washington

On Jan 23, 2015, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Hardy to zone 6.

On Apr 9, 2013, fantasticjourney from San Diego, CA wrote:

I got a 2 gallon myoga ginger from Cedros Gardens, in Solana Beach (San Diego) California for $9.99.

On Apr 7, 2012, nifty413 from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My understanding of this particular cultivar ('Dancing Crane' synonymous with 'Nakafu') is that it originated in Japan from Gotemba nursery. The leaves should have brightly contrasting CENTRAL white variegation, as opposed to variegation appearing mainly near their edges. I only see a couple of photos presently in this PlantFiles entry which appear to be consistent with the aforementioned description.

I have recently planted this cultivar, and hope to be able to upload photos in the near future.

Edited to add: This is merely conjecture, but as I try to better comprehend the Japanese language, it would seem logical that the cultivar name might have originally been 'Shiro Nakafu' which I think would translate to "white-center(ed)."

On Nov 2, 2010, ZowieK from Kennedy, NY wrote:

I really want to plant some Myoga in my backyard!
I used to have it in my backyard when i was growing up in Japan. (Saitama Pref.)
No luck finding seller.
Anybody know where I can buy roots in the USA?
I just love it sliced in my Miso-soup!
O, Myoga is great as Tempura too!!
Thank you!

On Aug 1, 2010, Olroy from Barbourville, KY wrote:

Live on a farm in SE Ky ( Hillbilly). recieved some plants from Japanese friend ( I spent 11 yrs in Japan during my 21 years in Navy). Planted them here and about on the farm. Grew best planted on the North side of structure, easy to grow, I just throw some manure or left over fertilizer on them in the fall, Crop gets bigger every year, you will need to pull the weeds out of them in late spring, and pick them about 1st Aug. this location. Does anyone know how to store them. They just last a couple of weeks for me.Olroy

On May 13, 2008, tommytightloop from East Hampton, NY wrote:

While the the immature flower buds have been used extensively for years in Japanese cuisine, it is important to remember that the rhizomes and mature plant leaves are actually quite toxic and incomplete research indicates potential carcinogenic and anti-carcinogenic properties, therefore, use for food should be undertaken after consulting an experienced user.

On Jun 26, 2007, baroque from South Dayton, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant thrives in my yard in a half sunny spot (Zone 6a). It produces a delicious edible flower bud that is a delicacy in Japanese cuisine.

On Sep 3, 2006, dorianred from Sherman Oaks, CA wrote:

The Japanese people plant Myoga Ginger primarily for its tasty plump buds emerging to the ground close to the stems during the summer through early fall. Ideally, they should be harvested before they bloom. Young shoots are also edible. Myoga is very easy to grow here in Southern California. May become invasive. Slugs and snails leave them alone.

On Feb 5, 2005, GardenGuyKin from Portland, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wonderful Hardy Japanese ginger. Very unique foliage plant with white centered leaves. Grows about 16" tall in my garden with only part sun. This ginger requires frequent watering during hot summer months. Best if placed in garden with some shelter, strong winds can topple and break stalks.

On Nov 8, 2003, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

this is a beautiful plant--but I have had a hard time growing it--edible,flowers and new shoots--light yellow flowers,eaten in tempura--new shoots used as a garnish--supposed to be a verry hardy species,even grown in parts of Canada--[it could be that my Florida swamp with it's either too wet or totally dry sugar sand and man-eating bugs,and no top soil is a chalange for it]---