Dwarf Banana 'Super Dwarf Cavendish'

Musa acuminata

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Species: acuminata (ah-kew-min-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Super Dwarf Cavendish

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Pale Pink

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Lillian, Alabama

Sun City West, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)

El Macero, California

El Campo, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Warrenton, Virginia

On Oct 7, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

This variety does not produce consistent fruit. As you might have noticed, not many mentions of picking ripe tasty bananas!...mine rotted on the plant after waiting two years for my 6" potted H.D. special to grow into a 3 foot clump. In a greenhouse.
And outdoors, it is cold sensitive...leaves blacken in cool frost free winters. Doesn't look very tropical then-ha.

On Jun 22, 2005, adavis from Loveland, CO wrote:

I Winter-Over my Super Dwarf Banana under fluorescent plant lights in the house. I have found that it takes a few weeks to harden off the plant when it goes back outdoors for the Summer, but it does acclimate after a while. I do get some burnt leaves and the plant doesn't look it's best for a while, but it eventually takes off. I do find that after the plant has adjusted to more sunlight, that I can eventually put it into full sun for several hours a day and it does just great. After it gets fully adjusted to the Summer sun and gets new growth, I just remove the old leaves that look bad. I suspect that the previous author may have just put the plant directly into the full sun without hardening it off.

I've read that this plant needs a lot of full sun to produce bananas, so t... read more

On May 22, 2005, wilycoyote1 from Sun City West, AZ wrote:

First of all, please allow me to say I do not have a "green thumb." When I first saw the dwarf banana plant, I thought it was a pretty plant, but I suspected it was only going to survive inside the house here in the Arizona summer. Today is Sunday, May 22, 2005. On this past Wednesday evening, my wife put the banana plant on our back patio. Last evening, after being in a shadowy area, but exposed to 100 degree weather, I noticed the plant was in serious trouble. The leaves were starting to seriously wither and blacken on the edges, so I immediately brought the plant inside. I mixed a concoction of "good-old" Superthrive, two drops in a half-gallon container, and added a small, less than teaspoon, amount of Miracle grow, mixed it well, and gave the plant three feedings, spaced about 1 1/2... read more

On Aug 5, 2004, DaraMV wrote:

This particular banana is one of the fastest growing ones I've ever had.

On Jun 13, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a GREAT little banana plant! Stays short and compact so is easy to move indoors in winter. The biggest one I have is no more than three feet tall overall and about that wide.

Some other names for the Super Dwarf Cavendish are Novak, Kovac, Dwarf Nathan and Dwarf Parfitt. There is also a varigated form (white and green), one with quite a bit more red called 'High Color Mini' and a still smaller form called 'Little Prince'.

I bought four labeled 'Novak' last year and overwintered them in my greenhouse in three gallon pots. Sadly, the greenhouse froze a couple times (dipped just under 32 degrees) and three of them froze back. I simply kept the corms in their pots, kept them warm and cut back on the water a bit ~ within a couple months they pupped like... read more

On Nov 8, 2003, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

This one is great-grows well indoors and outside-can produce fruit indoors and out too-beautiful ground cover-or standing alone--this is one of the best for inside or people without a lot of room-the fruit are real tasty-Florida-32182