Golden Dew Drop, Sky Flower, Pigeon Berry
Duranta erecta 'Sweet Memories'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Duranta (door-AN-tuh) (Info)
Species: erecta (ee-RECK-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Memories
Synonym:Duranta repens
Synonym:Duranta plumieri
Synonym:Duranta ellisia

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Purple

From leaf cuttings

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Mesa, Arizona

Melbourne, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

New Port Richey, Florida

Ocoee, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida (2 reports)

Palm Harbor, Florida

Victoria, Texas

Willis, Texas

Winnsboro, Texas

On Nov 22, 2014, orangepassion from Springfield, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I received my Duranta erecta 'Sweet Memories' as a gift about 5 years ago and it's one of the most beautiful plants I've ever grown. It's not hardy here in zone 6 so I bring it indoors for the winter until it gets too large to bring inside. Then, I just root a cutting and start over with a new plant in the spring. Bees, butterflies and hummingbirds love it and it's one of the few plants that pests do not bother in my garden. Here in zone 6, it's a prolific bloomer from early July until frost, which usually occurs mid to late October.

On Aug 2, 2013, faithiep from Oldsmar, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Love love love this plant. Very hardy...I have to trim constantly to keep it in line, but beautiful. Can become shaggy, wild and trailing when left alone. If you have the room, go for it. I don't...I've been able to train it into a tree very easily - first time I have ever done so with a plant. Blooms constantly, but be sure to remove the seeds at the end of the season. They aren't that pretty on mine and if they remain till the spring no flowers will form in my experience. Which confuses me because the flowers happen on new growth.

On Jul 1, 2012, Dianne24 from Blackstone, MA wrote:

I'm from Blackstone, MA and bought this plant at a nursery July 2011. It bloomed profusely. I never took it out of the pot and received all kinds of comments on it's beauty. I pinked the flowers after they past and it continued to bloom until the cool weather.

I winterized it in my home and just planted it outside in the grown. I a ton of green leaves and am waiting for the blooms. I looked them up in this web site and was happy to get all the care for the plant. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dianne
Dianne

On Jun 15, 2012, Chrissy51 from Clark, MO wrote:

I chose neutral only because I just bought this plant and I do not know it will grow in my zone and I need advice on what I can do so it won't just be an annual this year. I live in central Missouri. Could I plant it in a really big container and bring it in each winter? Any advice would be appreciated! I have fallen in love with this plant! Thank you!

On Oct 30, 2011, primmer from Casas Adobes, AZ wrote:

I bought two of these plants at the garden center. They were half dead and "half off" the price. I took them home, which is Tucson, AZ, and they have flourished. They bloomed like crazy. Last winter was very very cold here and they froze off at ground level but came back in the spring and actually looked better then the year before. I think that tells me to prune more vigerously because they are a great shepe now. They are both at least 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide and have been blooming since late spring. There are new starts for more flowers coming out now which is the end of October. Humming birds and bees love them.

On Apr 18, 2010, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

I saw this plant with bunch of purple flowers at our local Lowe's, sniffed on the flower and fell in love with the lavender-ish fragrant, and bought one that had no blooms but buds, brought it home, plant it in a sunny location, and did the initial care one does when planting a new plant, and some weeks later, bam! It bloomed white flowers instead of purple! The already-blooming plants on display at Lowe's had purple flowers on them, the tag that was attached to the plant I brought home has a picture of purple flowers, but it bloomed white flowers. Each time I see these plants on sale at any nursery, the flowers are always purple, never white, yet my plant is producing pure white flowers in bunches. Can anybody explain this to me, why does everyone has a purple one except me?

... read more

On Oct 5, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought a little one three years ago. Each winter it dies back after a freeze. When it emerges in the spring and gets about three feet high, I cut it back to about a foot to get more branches. Then I stick the cuttings in potting soil with root tone. Now I have six large plants in my yard from the first little one. Roots very easily. Grows in drifting shade with average water. Zone 9a, NE Florida

On Jul 7, 2007, Florida9 from Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant flowers almost all year, and has been disease free for me. We never had hummers here until we planted this. The hummingbirds and butterflies prefer this to a nearby Hamelia Patens, pink pentas, various salvias, and agastache Golden Jubilee. It is also very easy to propagate from cuttings, and grows quickly. I now have nine plants growing. They are in various degrees of partial sun, and bloom well. At least one online nursery labels their plants as both Sweet Memories and Geisha Girl as if they are identical. The plants do grow in a rather rather casual, wispy form, but respond well to pruning to shape for a hedge.

On Aug 26, 2004, JeanneTX from Willis, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have the Duranta Erecta "Sweet Memories" and it is very scented..smells like Chocolate and bees and hummers love it..grows like crazy in full sun and was told it can get 6ft by 6ft and to prune for it blooms on new wood...

On Jun 2, 2004, rplingaltx from Galveston, TX wrote:

This is one of my all time favorite plants! I planted one 2 years ago in one of my beds and it has gone wild. If i had not trimmed it this year i think it would be 10 feet tall by now. Covered with BEAUTIFUL purple flowers edged in delicate white. I love it so much this year I planted a "hedge" of them across my extra lot next door. Cant wait for them to fill in! No thorns on this one like other durantas either.