Eastern Coneflower, Eastern Purple Coneflower
Echinacea purpurea 'Razzmatazz'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Species: purpurea (pur-PUR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Razzmatazz
Additional cultivar information:(PP13894)
Hybridized by Van Winsen
Registered or introduced: 2003

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Birmingham, Alabama

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

Watertown, Wisconsin

negative

On Jun 26, 2013, blumz from Trussville, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted one of these 5 seasons ago at a newly built home. It has done very well, with more blooms each season. This season it is beautiful. It returns true to form, adds a smile and fun atmosphere to the garden. Color is vibrant.
Water may be the problem for those who are not having success with it. It is in full sun for me, but also in ground that is slightly moist most of the time.

On Jun 24, 2013, minpin3165 from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

How long does it take these plants to bloom from date of planting seeds. It has been almost a year and they are not very big and not close to blooming.
Live in SWFL. Lots of water and have some in sun and sun in part shade.

On Jun 28, 2010, rwbigfoot wrote:

I see some of these photos and they show the plant not coming back true to it's parents flower form, this is a hybrid and it's showing clearly it's not the same flower as its parent in alot of the photos. i give this a thumbs down if you're looking for the same flowers as the original plant. It is a nice plant if you want a different flower that surrounds the parent. but i wanted all the same kind of flowers and i payed premium price for it too.

On Nov 2, 2009, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Bought this plant and went back for a second one because I loved it so much. The flowers remind me of a pink puffball. People walking by comment on them.

On Jul 28, 2008, pennefeather from McLean, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is my favorite coneflower. I love the petals, and the way that it keeps blooming. The flowers last a long time. I haven't deadheaded any yet this year, because they still look good!

On Apr 27, 2008, fuchsiamama from Republic, MO wrote:

This is a beautiful plant. And yes, the blooms seem to last forever for me too. HOWEVER, when I bought 2 of them late last summer one was labeled 'Sunset' and the other 'Razzmatazz' with pictures that were much more like a classic echinanea. I did some looking on nursery websites and concluded they were both really 'Double Delight'. In comparing pics here it is hard to tell the difference between Razzmatazz and Double Delight.

On Oct 28, 2006, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

A suprisingly hardy flower for one that came out of the cut flower trade. Flowered for the longest of my echinacea this year.

On Jul 9, 2006, tripletmomma2K from Macomb, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I got one plant at a local nursery early this spring. It was in a 4" pot, and I paid $21.99.

I planted it in my perennial garden that gets full southern sun all day. It threw up 1 flower for me to see what it looked like (just stunning) and that flower lasted for WEEKS! It currently has about 8-9 flowers on it, and I'll assume that it will get much larger for next year. Mine doesn't currently need staking, but seeing the height of the purple echinacea that I have in that same garden but further down, I can see that it has potential for getting large.

I have saved one seed head, and plan on trying to see what type of plant will result from it.

On May 28, 2006, ALHiker from Gardendale, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Got the last 3 remaining plants at Lowe's in fall 2005. They were only marginal in their appearance, didnt expect too much from them. This spring has been phenomenal! Over 20 flowers so far! My only complaint is that they grow so tall, they need support (over 3 ft). Love them!

On Nov 24, 2005, bonniewong from edmonton

I paid $40 each for three medium sized plants in May, they started blooming in July non stop till October. This plant is definatly worth the wait, not like the overhyped Doppleganger. The blooms look amazing when they open with a green centre that fully matures to a cute pink powder puff. I would have bought more, but very pricey in 2005, I'm sure next year the price will be more reasonable.

On Nov 28, 2004, KRNYSGIRL from Clinton, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I got this Plant this Spring - it only produced about 4 flowers this first year - but they were quite striking. Next year should be a show stopper display. Looked great in my bed with other Echinacea, Daisies and Gallardia.

On Nov 24, 2004, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I agree with the above comment. I received this plant when it was only a nub of a plant. I kept watering for almost a month before I saw any signs of life. By the end of September I actually was able to divide this coneflower in half. Beautiful flowers. I am not sure the seeds will replicate its parent.

On Nov 23, 2004, 8ftbed from Zion, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Received 3 small plants. Planted one inground and 2 in pots for friends. In all three locations it gained enough size to put up 3 - 7 blooms on a year old plant. While a single cone flower opens then over a period of days grows the "cone", the Razzmatazz initially opens with the skirt. Then the dome of petals gradually gets larger and individual petals in the skirt elongates. It's like a new flower every day for a week or more.

After it's matured it remains a showstopper for days and is unfazed by rain.