PlantFiles: Cantaloupe
Cucumis melo 'Banana'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo (MEL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Banana

Vegetables

81 to 90 days
91 to 100 days

Positive lizardbreath On Sep 23, 2011, lizardbreath from Boise City, OK (Zone 6a) wrote:

My brother gave me these seeds so I planted them even though we are having an extreme drought. I am so glad I did because they have been very prolific. My family has even enjoyed the flavor, may be due to having nothing to compare it to this year. All other melons succumbed to record breaking conditions, too many days over 100 degrees, high winds, and no rain but these kept on producing. I will plant these again because they don't have to be pampered to produce well.

Positive EdlinUser On Jan 20, 2007, EdlinUser from Fayetteville, AR wrote:

It's the only cantaloupe I grow every year.
It's more likely to put out a crop in the poor, heavy soils of NW Arkansas than other varieties I've tried.
I agree with Farmerdill that the taste and texture are a bit different.
But I really prefer that difference over other varieties.
Grows well. Tastes good. It's a winner for me.

Positive mavis On Nov 14, 2003, mavis from Dallas, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

As a child growing up on a fram in Brunswick county (Ocean Island) I can remember my parents growing 'Banana' and it was yellow and sweet.

Negative Farmerdill On Nov 13, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An antique novelty that dates into the 19th century. It grows a 4 -5 lb. banana shaped melon. Flesh is pink/salmon with a smooth texture. Grows well. In 60 years I have not found anyone who likes the flavor, which is somewhat sweet but also has a mild cucumber flavor. Maybe an early version of a cuculoupe as it has somewhat the shape and growth habits of the Armenian cucucumber

Fayetteville, Arkansas