Primrose Jasmine, Chinese Jasmine

Jasminum mesnyi

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: mesnyi (MES-nee-eye) (Info)

Grow outdoors year-round

Quincy, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Henderson, Nevada

Alvin, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Cedar Creek, Texas

Georgetown, Texas (2 reports)

Katy, Texas

Kingsland, Texas

North Zulch, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Disputanta, Virginia

On Aug 16, 2015, Grower49 from Cedar Creek, TX wrote:

Extremely drought resistant. Grows well in high alkaline, rocky clay soil, full sun, partial to full shade. Blooms on last years growth, so if you trim right after the spring bloom, you will have blooms the following season. If you wait and trim in the fall, your Jasmine will not bloom in the spring. Easily trimmed to any shape. My 8 yr old plants are over 7' tall and 10' wide where they grow in the open yard and over 10' tall and 14' wide where they grow on a 6' range fence. Dense enough for a privacy hedge. Evergreen in warmer climates. When relocating new plants that have grown from branches that touch the ground, I get better results when moved straight to the new location as opposed to moving to a container first. Keeping the soil moist (not wet) for a few months following the transpl... read more

On Apr 8, 2012, AdmiralBill from Serenada, TX wrote:

Georgetown, Tx went through its worst recorded drought and highest heat summer in 2011. My Primrose Jasmine hedge not only kept its leaves and thrived, but even bloomed. I never watered it once. Other trees and shrubs in my yard died.
My wife feels it is invasive because it grows and spreads quickly. But I love it because it is evergreen, hardy, beautiful and has no thorns.
Two years ago I transplanted runners to another area of my yard and only watered them twice. They are now four feet tall and blooming beautifully.
Mine are all planted in semi-shady areas, but I see them around town in full sun and they look great.
Local deer eat everything in site, but not my Primrose Jasmine. In fact, twice does have given birth under its shady recesses.

On Sep 25, 2010, hnz57txn from Kaufman, TX wrote:

Pruning my unruly 7yearold Primrose Jasmine this spring I discovered the foliage has a haunting subtle smell I never noticed, and the woody stems develop roots after prolonged contact with the earth. This plant has survived many seasons of drought, I only water after the black-gumbo earth-cracks can swallow small children and house-hold pets.
A suburban native cottontail rabbit uses the tangled cover to reside in my front yard. Most of my vegetable matter scraps go under the sprawl to either compost or feed the bunny.

On Nov 13, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is a resistant shrub, that is being nice to me and is tolerating an awful situation in my window. Anyway, this plant has arched long branches, assuming a fountain shape, but can be grown as a short climber if given support.

It has 3 leaflets per leaf. The flowers are yellow, with 5-10 petals, fragrant.

This plant can be grown on moderately moist, fertile soil, under partial shade. It may tolerate light frosts. Can be propagated by stem cuttings, or just laying the branches on the soil (it develops calousities on some nodes that will root if touch the ground).

My plant is with me for 7 years, and its behaving well, even though not on ideal conditions (cant protect it from midday sun, and its planted on the same container with my succulen... read more