Trailing Verbena 'Imagination'

Verbena speciosa

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Verbena (ver-BEE-nuh) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Imagination

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Seward, Alaska

Plainview, Texas

Colfax, Wisconsin

River Falls, Wisconsin

On Jul 30, 2012, desert_willow from Plainview, TX wrote:

I transplanted this during 100 degree plus heat from tucson to plainview, texas during last summer's drought. it grew well, spreading low. The bed received morning and midday sun. I didn't think it would make it through the winter (zone 7) but it did! It aggressively took off in the spring, this time with a profusion of blooms rising to a hight of 12" and spreading several feet into available space. Some of it re-seeded too. It blooms continuously from early spring to the first hard frost. it has been a wonderful addition to my water-wise garden. I will be trying some of it soon in my back yard where it can trail off a raised planting area. attracts bees.

On Apr 10, 2010, MaryandLance from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

I planted these in February...and they were doing Great ....however now the leaves are starting to turn yellow...and it is not blooming as much as it was before.

It is in full sun between the Pool and a path...but they are supposed to be okay in full sun and was hoping they would work in this spot. We've had rain off & on and most other plants are fine... any ideas what may be causing these plants to suffer? (I had planted 3)....Thanks - Mary Baton Rouge, 8B

On Jan 28, 2010, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

A perennial ground cover here in Southern California. It's currently late January, and my plants are in full bloom. A lot of verbenas in SoCal which are planted in the ground are prone to mildew, and Imagination seems to be the happy exception. The dark purple flowers seem to float above the foliage. It's hard to dead head this plant because it always seems to be in bloom, but it can be mowed with a weed whacker and will bounce right back.

On Nov 2, 2009, troop1819 from Lees Summit, MO wrote:

I purchased some of these for use in some large pots on my deck. They were hardy, and bloomed off and on throughout the summer and are still producing blooms since we have not yet had a hard freeze. They spread out nicely in the container, worked well with dusty miller, but crowded out the dahlberg daisies as the summer wore on. Hope to find some for my containers again next spring!

On Jun 16, 2009, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very attractive and tough plant that is low growing with a spreading habit. I had got some mixed wildflower seeds a few years ago and after taking them out after one season, two verbenas sprouted up--one each lavender-pink and white. The bright lavender-pink color is outstanding. The photograph is of the plant in mid-May.

A single plant has a spreading habit and flowers continuously through the summer. It's spread is over 1metre (3 ft+) in every direction within four months and can be trimmed to keep it neat. As the stem grows, new flowers keep appearing around the tip. It takes extremes of heat very well.The albino variety is more sensitive to the heat, and while the lavender-pink is doing well in June heat of over 110 degrees F, the white is drooping.

On May 31, 2009, FloridaFlwrGirl from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I love this plant! I bought one for my Ft Lauderdale garden and it quickly spread to about 6 feet in diameter. I took several cuttings and they rooted very easily in terrible sandy soil. I've been very impressed with it! I've read that it is sometimes a perennial in this area and look forward to seeing if it sticks around. I sure hope it does.

On May 6, 2008, djk61 from Coralville, IA wrote:

I bought this plant last summer and it was a surprising little trooper! It spread almost 3 feet wide and bloomed continuously all summer long with little care or dead heading even in very hot weather. The flowers are bright purple-blue and the foliage is attractive as well. I just bought 3x as many (9 plants) today when I saw them available here again this spring. Give it room to grow and enjoy! It is an annual in my zone 5a.

On Mar 5, 2006, parkerpt from Amarillo, TX wrote:

I have been pleasantly pleased with this plant. I planted four in a corner border one afternoon and by the next morning something had eaten them all to the ground! (rabbit?? hungry snails??) Three of the four bounced back the same Spring and bloomed all Summer. A very tough plant that seems to bloom better with infrequent watering. Mine provide Summer to Fall color in zone 6 in fast-draining clay soil.