PlantFiles: Honey Dew Melon
Cucumis melo var. inodorus 'Venus'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo var. inodorus
Cultivar: Venus
Hybridized by Known-You Seeds; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1981

Vegetables

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

81 to 90 days

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #1 of Cucumis melo var. inodorus by Farmerdill

Positive Breezymeadow On Mar 21, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I first grew these in 1995, but believe it or not, still have viable seed left.

The seedpacket calls it a "Honey Dew-type Cantaloupe", but yet listing under "Cantaloupe" seems misleading because even though the melons have Cantaloupe-like netting, the interior flesh is bright green & is decidedly "Honey Dew" in taste. In addition, the "height" category above pertains to the LENGTH of the vines, not the height of them as they sprawl on the ground.

I start my seeds for these indoors in peat pots (germination within 7 days) & set them out after they're just a few inches tall. I find that this helps to avoid seed predation by crows. My garden is wall-to-wall well-composted horse manure, & this variety took off like it was radioactive. With just a few plants set out, at the end of the season I have had DOZENS of gorgeous melons - so many that I was freezing the flesh in cubes & as purees for winter use. Depending on the weather, I had ripe melons in about 80 days.

Taste is that of a super-sweet very juicy Honey Dew. Since I've been using the same seed packet for a number of seasons, I can't say if this particular variety is still available, but if it is, I can highly recommend it. It was the first melon I ever tried in my home garden, & it outperformed my expectations.

Positive Farmerdill On Nov 18, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Excellent mid season green fleshed honeydew. Similar to Honey-Brew but this one slips like a cantaloupe.

Augusta, Georgia