PlantFiles: Loquat, Japanese Plum
Eriobotrya japonica 'Bradenton'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eriobotrya (er-ee-oh-BOT-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Bradenton

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Late Fall/Early Winter
Mid Winter

Bronze-Green
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel
By grafting

Thumbnail #5 of Eriobotrya japonica by IslandJim

Thumbnail #6 of Eriobotrya japonica by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #7 of Eriobotrya japonica by Thaumaturgist

Positive Heeve On Nov 2, 2013, Heeve from Sebring, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Great tree with large dark green leaves and lots of fruit for the cobbler! Ours fruits twice a year, once in early spring and again in mid fall with the autumn harvest producing a little less then the spring harvest but still plenty to go around, even on a moderately sized (10 feet perhaps?) tree.

Fruits are delicious and semi-exotic in flavor and "snap" when bitten. They usually produce 2 to 3 fair sized seeds in each fruit that are large relative to the fruit itself.

The local squirrel population here makes short work of them so we have to pick them quickly, but the upside is that they clear the fallen fruits and seeds as well so we have little to no unwanted seedlings.

Positive plantparent On Jun 13, 2009, plantparent from Sarasota, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

After tasting one of the fruits off a clients tree... I was hooked. Wonderful! I noticed a seedling sprouting under their tree and yes, pulled it up and took it home and potted him up. This was in march. It is now about 9' tall. I would consider these easy to grow as I pulled it up right after a pretty harsh winter for us and he survived.

Neutral zsnp On Jun 2, 2005, zsnp from Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Loquats self-sow, and we are finding them to be somewhat invasive in our yard in Pensacola, FL. Given the perfect spot (young ones like partial shade and moist, rich soil), they will form a jungle... :-)

Neutral Doxy On Jun 15, 2004, Doxy from Waco, TX wrote:

These trees grow quite well in Waco, TX. I have two that were planted in the early 1960s in my backyard. They're terribly overgrown right now since we rented the property for a few years, but I'm hoping to get them pruned back (they're planted more as specimen plants than as trees).

Positive WalterT On May 11, 2004, WalterT from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Loquat trees grow readily from seed and are found all over S. California. Fruit is juicey and sweet when ripe and is adored by birds.

Neutral Jude_Daquin On May 10, 2004, Jude_Daquin from Ridley Park, PA wrote:

Grows widely and extremely well in New Orleans, Louisiana, where it is called "Japanese plum". The seeds are totally edible, though very bitter-tasting. I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying the seeds' taste; but, as with the seeds of most fruits in the Roseacea family, they are rich in the anti-cancer substance amygdalin (or "laetrile", which was known as vitamin B-17 before the FDA took away its vitamin status). I used to force myself to eat several (6 or so) in one sitting. (A lot easier than searching for health food stores that sell apricot kernels ... and if you have a tree in your yard, they're free.) The fruits, of course, are delicious. I recently found them canned in syrup at a Chinese supermarket. (They were labled "loquats".)

Positive foodiesleuth On Apr 7, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I have always loved growing loquat trees. I first became acquainted with it when I lived in South Carolina where it survived many winters, even when covered in snow. I have used the fruit in pies and jellies and have also loved the new growth of leaves and beige blooms in table arrangements.

At this time I have a small one growing in a large pot and will be transplanting to the year soon.

Positive gabriellefsu On Apr 5, 2004, gabriellefsu from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

The loquat trees grow beautifully in Tallahassee, Florida. Yesterday I picked several dozen of the delicious fruit from my friend's house nearby. Her tree is 30' tall and has gorgeous tropical leaves in addition to plentiful fruit. Birds have helped create several new trees, and I am excited that she is going to give me a couple so I can have my own. :)

Summerdale, Alabama