Cantaloupe 'Ambrosia'

Cucumis melo

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo (MEL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Ambrosia

Landrum, South Carolina

Simpsonville, South Carolina

Radford, Virginia

On Feb 10, 2013, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I gave Ambrosia a 'neutral' rating because they just don't keep well when ripe. I have a small window to pick them or they will be overripe. I recommend picking them as soon as they are ripe and eating them within a day or two. Any longer and they will be too ripe and you will miss out on an outstanding cantaloupe. They are probably the sweetest that I have ever tasted. I would recommend a 'positive' rating on the sweetness. This variety is very popular in my area but the seeds are expensive.

On Aug 14, 2010, Quixote from Catonsville, MD wrote:

I grew Ambrosia very successfully for many years in Vacaville, Ca. along with Crenshaw and Haogen. First grew Ambrosia probably the first year of its introduction by Burpee in 1975. Now many years later at my retirement location in Maryland I have renewed my acquaintance today consuming the first of the season - it is as delicious as I remembered.

On Jul 22, 2010, plantfreak78 from Rolesville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I'm growing 'Ambrosia' for the first time this year and have been quite impressed with it. It's been disease free and insect free despite the squash bugs that took out the zucchinis right next to it. And the plant has remained quite vigorous despite the long, hot, drought-stricken June we had. The fruit isn't overly sweet and I didn't think it was too musky. I will definitely be growing it again next year.

On Jun 21, 2010, blueridgefarmer from Landrum, SC wrote:

We are organic gardeners and have found the Ambosia to be quite pest resistant. the plants are very strong and vigorous growers!!
I grow them on a 2"x4" fence trellis to keep them up off the ground and the vines support the melon well. Just wish they ripened quicker... the wait is torturous anticipating the sweet taste to follow!!!!

On Jan 30, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the tastiest variety I've tried yet. The Box Terrapins love it too.

On Nov 18, 2005, Indy from Alexandria, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I raised this one in 1984. I haven't raised it since as it was too musky tasting for us.

On Aug 9, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grew this for the first time in Iowa in 2005. Seemed to take a really long time to ripen but it was worth the wait. The taste of this melon is wonderful, very fragrant and sweet and juicy. Just how a good cantaloupe should taste. I would grow this one again for sure.

On Apr 25, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Great producer. The fruit is very sweet and delicious!

On Feb 16, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

86 days to maturity. Approx 6" across. Flesh is sweet and juicy.

On Nov 21, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a 4 lb standard salmon fleshed cantaloupe that claims to be extra sweet. It is a somewhat soft melon and not a good keeper or shipper.