Tomato 'Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red

Bethelridge, Kentucky

Kure Beach, North Carolina

Knoxville, Tennessee

On Dec 24, 2009, stormygace from kure beach, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

My all-time favorite red beefsteak! Heavy continuous setting of deep red fabulous tasting beefsteaks that have the perfect punch of acid & sweet. Skins not thick but substantial enough to avoid cracking with summer thunderstorms. Seeds in small lobules of gel - just enough to enrich the flavor. These were regularly over a pound & some over 2# - flesh is dense not watery or mealy. This one produced from mid-July until Thanksgiving here. Fruits got smaller by the end were big tennis ball sized. No decline in flavor or texture. Fruit started low & progessed upward often with 7 or 8 huge tomatoes at all stages of ripening. Did I mention this was the deepest truest red of all the reds I grew? Huge vigorous plant with beautiful deep green foliage that was not at all fazed by our hideous summer... read more

On Feb 3, 2009, Cleo1717 from Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is one of the mainstay's of my garden. I would never be without it. It's has a very good flavor and always produces well, even in bad tomato years.

On Aug 26, 2007, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Good taste and reasonable production. Despite late blooming rating, some of my Andrew Rahart's ripened early (July in CT) and are still producing in Aug. I will defintely grow this again.

On Jul 13, 2006, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

My plants were not very productive. The tomatoes were attractive, round and meaty; flavor sweet with less acid than some.

On Jan 17, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Seed available at Mariseeds, and her comments are as follows: "This is one of the most delicious reds I've ever grown. Brilliant, scarlet beefsteaks, 1-2lbs. Very meaty and brimming with rich robust flavor that will delight your taste buds! Plants are also very productive, so you'll enjoy plenty of them. Sweet!
Indet. 90 days"

Variety also mentioned in Carolyn Male's book "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden" -- "While this tomato is not huge in size, it's huge in taste and aroma [...] is a large,vigorous plant that supports a heavy yield of beefsteak fruits, which are dense and weighty beyond their appearance [...] Andrew Rahart lived north of New York City and collected seeds from local immigrants in the area [...]Myona and Pink Ping Pong are also atttribu... read more

On Aug 11, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Late variety but well worth the wait. Plump and juicy, yet with a meaty interior. Great taste. Good production, this one makes a great canner.