Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Anna Russian'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Anna Russian

Elgin, Texas

Pasadena, Texas

Port Angeles, Washington

On May 27, 2015, greenthumbb from Mesa, AZ wrote:

Good producer so far, good flavor, but compared to other varieties seems prone to blossom end rot. Zone 9B

On May 4, 2012, TheSecretTomato from Covedale, OH wrote:

Anna Russian - seed by TomatoFest (2010)

Observed the volunteer tomato plants from the previous year, 6-8-10 inches high. Since they were doing so well early in the season (2011), thought it would be a good time to sow seed instead of going the transplant route. This was still earlier than a transplant would be set out in this area, mid-May being the normal transplanting time here in southwestern Ohio.

Two 'open spots', so 2-3 seeds for each. One did well, the other...? Still looking for the other, no seriously, died off or whatever.

Left two of the volunteers (not recommended normally by.. anyone?). Anyway, nothing exceptional came from them even though they produced, suspecting that that won't be tried anytime soon.

Anna Lives... read more

On Aug 2, 2009, LoraTW619 from Mount Washington, KY wrote:

I'm impressed with this one. So far, it has set more fruit than just about any other in my garden, which really surprized me considering what a dinky little vine it started out as. It shows no sign of cat facing or disease dispite some neglect on my part. I love the shape of the oxhearts, and this one tastes great too! I'll definately grow it again.

On Jul 5, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I was disappointed with Anna Russian. I had read so many good things about it, but it didn't deliver for me. The flavor was rather blah and it is had low production. Maybe it was just a bad year, but there are too many other varieties to try to give it another go.

On Dec 28, 2007, FlipTX from Pasadena, TX wrote:

I gave Anna Russian the best spot in my garden and got two fruit for my efforts. One weighed about a pound and the other was maybe six ounces. The plant was healthy (though wispy, as is typical) but just would not produce more fruit than that for me. Those I did get were delicious, though, which keeps me from giving it a totally negative rating.

On Jul 9, 2006, Anselm from San Anselmo, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

It really took off--tons of tomatoes. I have tons of sun, little wind, and mostly dry heat, and this plant is the best grower/producer of my tomatoes (followed by Jaune Flamee ).

On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very good flavor; meaty and early. Good for both canning and fresh eating. One of my favorites.

On Aug 2, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

A great heirloom! Shaped like the Russian Orthodox Church, its flavor was intense and although the tomato had few seeds its body was juicy and not like a paste tomato. My largest so far was close to a pound. Most are blemish free and just a great tomato.

On Apr 23, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Good tasting, sweet and juicy but not very prolific for the amount of space taken especially if your space is limited. Otherwise go for it....

On Dec 18, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Handed down from a Russian immigrant. "Vines are wispy and finely cut, like most oxheart types, and they produce 8-16 oz. lusiously sweet, juicy and solid heart shaped fruits."