Mango
Mangifera indica 'Keitt'

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mangifera (man-GEF-er-uh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Keitt

Pompano Beach, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Honomu, Hawaii

On Feb 24, 2005, WalterT from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Mangos are in the same family as poison oak/ivy and the juice can cause a severe, itchy, blistery reaction on the hands and face of allergic people, so after eating one be sure to wash hands/face thoroughly. As for squirrels, etc., just wrap a 3 foot wide sheet of tin or aluminium around the trunk of the tree (any fruit tree, for that matter) to foil the little rascals. Periodically remove the metal to check for snails, etc. under it. Make sure that no branches come near the ground or near to any other tree that wld allow squirrels to jump across.
Yes, Keitt, Kent and Haden mangos are all large, sweet and juicy when allowed to ripen. I have had good fruit from a mango tree grown from seed, so do try that method. It takes about 5 years for a tree to start bearing fruit.
Y... read more

On Feb 23, 2005, sonotaps from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

They grow Keitt mangos on a commercial basis in Coachella, California (desert near Palm Springs). I've tasted them, and they are full of 'late season' goodness. Fiberless.

The tree itself is very large with an 'open' growth habit so I would say not typically good for home use unless you have lots of room.

On Jul 28, 2004, Wescott from Melbourne, FL wrote:

I lost most of my fruit this year due to a drought after blooming. Next year, I will irrigate.
They prepare and freeze well and taste fresh a year later. My tree is 10 years old and about 20 ft tall.
My biggest problem is the squirrel population. I don't blame them because these are the best tasting, low fiber mango I've ever had. How can I discourage these furry pests?

On Nov 22, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

"Keitt" Mango is characterized by its unusually large size among all Florida Mangoes.

It is also one of the last Mangoes of the season, often
bearing as late as the end of September or early October in Florida.