Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Yellow Brandywine'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Yellow Brandywine
Additional cultivar information:(aka Brandywine, Yellow)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Los Angeles, California

Santa Barbara, California

Meeker, Colorado

Westbrook, Connecticut

Augusta, Georgia (2 reports)

Urbandale, Iowa

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Sheboygan, Wisconsin

negative

On Jun 9, 2012, Ltcolumbo wrote:

Not quite as big as the Brandywine, very thick skin, old fashioned flavor, the texture is very hard.
Very unusual variety, yellow to orange colour, cracks very frequently like most brandywine type tomatoes, this variety is particularly prone to catface malformations.

On May 7, 2010, Grow_Pittsburgh from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

In my area last year everyone I spoke with had a very bad year with tomatoes including myself and my next door neighbor. But this guy kept on battling on with all the health issues we had in the garden. It would still keep setting fruit. I still lost some but the few I got where some of the best tasting tomatoes I have ever had. I am going to try the platfoot strain this year. After last years bad spell It can only get better.

On Jul 5, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I got exactly one tomato off of my Yellow Brandywine. But what a fantastic tomato it was! It was huge and had a sweet, old-fashioned, tomatoey flavor. I'd be willing to give it another shot because the flavor was so good, but I'd like more than one tomato next time (please :).

On Apr 28, 2008, fredgamble from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I love the taste, texture, and color of yellow brandywine. Mine were huge; a slice easily covered an entire slice of mansize bread. No complaints. I bought six plants this year. I live in Santa Barbara, CA 93111.

On Aug 26, 2007, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Nicely colored and huge, but many plants were rather ugly and misshapen. The taste was not as good as red or pink brandywine.

On Jul 24, 2007, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I was pleased with the large round solid fruits and the flavor. Over two years once it was very productive but the following hot dry summer it was poorly productive.

On Sep 10, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

The yellow has lived up to the Brandywine name. It had size and color and although were less prolific than the pink Brandywine, it did have one of the best flavors of the yellow tomatoes. A winner.

On Jan 13, 2005, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I had excellent results with Yellow B-wine! Also found it to be much more productive than the standard Brandywine (more and more now-a-days referred to as "pink Brandywine").

Delicious tasting! I've even witnessed someone who dislikes red tomatoes (my daughter!) really fell in love w/this one! On a 1-10 scale I give it an 8! (Flavor, growth habit, disease resistance.)

On Dec 1, 2003, Bungarian from Cotton Valley, LA wrote:

This tomato is great. It grows very well with huge tomaotes and great taste.

On Nov 26, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This cultivar grows a very large vine and is one of the longest season tomatoes. It has sufficient disease resistence to grow to maturity in this area of Georgia. Yields are very low compared to pink Brandywine and the flavor is not to my liking. Most of the yellow/gold beefsteak cultivars are superior in my opinion.

On May 31, 2003, pywacket from Meeker, CO wrote:

A friend starts these plants in her greenhouse and then we plant them outdoors. We love the flavor of them. It has nice large tomatoes.

It tends to attract whiteflies. If you place a yellow plate or butter carton top or similar item and coat it with vaseline near the plant it attracts the whiteflies to it and they stick there and die. This is the best method we have found for getting rid of whiteflies.

The flavor of this tomato is so very good.