PlantFiles: False Queen Anne's Lace, Bishop's Weed, White Dill
Ammi majus

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ammi (AM-eye) (Info)
Species: majus (MAY-jus) (Info)

Not Applicable

Thumbnail #5 of Ammi majus by tubbss5

Thumbnail #6 of Ammi majus by tubbss5

Thumbnail #7 of Ammi majus by tubbss5

Positive Pfg On Sep 24, 2012, Pfg from (Pam) Warren, CT (Zone 5b) wrote:

Ammi Majus, False Queen Anne's Lace, is lovely. I am familiar with aegopodium, Bishop's Weed, and this is NOT the same thing. I planted a few seedlings last year and was sad that the plants were so short lived. This year, much to my delight, volunteers came up in the most serendipitous spots regularly throughout the season. They were easy to remove where not wanted, but added greatly to the overall picture all summer.

Pam

Positive crimsonowns On Jun 9, 2012, crimsonowns from Tuscaloosa, AL wrote:

NOT invasive. Educate yourselves people. This is an annual....not the invasive perennial !! Note the difference. You are mistaken. Learn the details. Names matter.

Neutral MikeMickey On Apr 25, 2012, MikeMickey from Townsend, MA
United States wrote:

No one on the site mentioned fragrance. I have a plant in my yard that is quite similar to this, tall, reseeds freely, but is definitely fragrant - people either love or hate the fragrance. Any idea what the name might be?

Positive Klug On Feb 13, 2012, Klug from San Diego, CA wrote:

This plant came up in a pot in my San Diego backyard. It may have come from a bunch of seeds I brought home and scattered around. The first year it didn't bloom, but it came back the next year with a glorious bloom. I went out and took pictures with my digital camera and put them into my computer file.

The next day I went outside to garden, and the plant was completely gone. It had been pulleld from the pot, roots and all. I even went back in and checked the computer in case I was imagining the whole thing.

The man next door had some workers in his yard the day before and I guess someone jumped the six foot fence. The next year, a couple leaves came up, but nothing since. So I really must get some seeds of this to grow and see if it is indeed the same plant.

Positive 48park On Jul 6, 2010, 48park from Pepperell, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I ordered seed and direct sowed it not knowing what to expect. I have been pleased with the results and plan to use the plant more deliberately next year. Elegant in its simplicity, and more tidy and delicate in appearance than the fuzzier Queen Anne's Lace, in sunny, dry conditions it has stayed erect in conditions that have caused nearly everything else to wilt. I plant to use it among daisies and coneflower next season.

Positive lehua_mc On Aug 21, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Ammi majus, White Bishop's Lace, is as beautiful and graceful as promised. Sown in late May from Renee's Garden seed, my plants are still small and delicate in nature, growing best in full sun. A must for the romantic garden. I've seen this effectively interplanted in garden beds that allows the flower heads to be held above and contrasted with larger, darker foliage, while concealing the relatively skimpy foliage.

Positive straea On Jun 13, 2009, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Unlike Louannie, I am personally pretty sure that most people with negative comments are going solely by the common name Bishop's Weed and assuming that this is the incredibly thuggish Aegopodium podagraria (the cultivar 'Variegatum' is particularly virulent), which is the plant usually referred to as Bishop's Weed, without actually checking the botanical name (or even the photos!). [I've found this sort of thing to be a common mistake on Dave's Garden when there is a relatively uncommon plant that is listed as having one of the same common names as a much more common plant. I'm not sure what can be done about it except maybe placing a notice at the top of the page not to confuse the lesser-known plant with the other one.]

Regardless, this is a lovely plant that is wonderful for attracting beneficial insects and is easy to grow from seed in areas with a decent cool season. In climates as cold as mine, it doesn't seem to naturalize like it has done in the Southeastern US, where I would either not plant it or be sure to remove the flowers before seeds form. The livestock issue noted by the commenter before me is a relatively new discovery and because of it, I will also be clipping every seed head from now on, as I get many birds in my garden and it seems that it may also encourage prolonged photosensitivity in wild birds, and though I've not seen them eat the seeds, it's not worth the risk. I like this plant enough to make the extra effort to do this, which should say something in and of itself.

P.S. Queen Anne's Lace (which is NOT synonymous with this plant, despite a previous commenter's confusion) and Wild Chicory are NOT native plants in North America. They are naturalized plants. There is a difference. Native plants were originally grown in one's region (how nearby varies depending on the gardener or garden writer), and naturalized plants have become common in the area despite not originally being from there (in much of North America most naturalized plants - whether invasive or non-invasive - are originally from Europe or Japan). It's up to individual gardeners' discretion as to whether or not to plant naturalized plants, but do NOT mistake them for native plants, as they are not.

Negative Phloid On May 15, 2008, Phloid from Candler, NC (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought some seed of this plant because it is purported to be a non-invasive and useful alternative to Queen Anne's Lace. I have not yet planted the seed and have no growing experience with it. After buying the seed I researched and see that some sources say it is "non-invasive" but others say it can naturalize. One site provided me with some alarming info. "Bishop’s-weed contains a furocoumarin in all parts of the plant, but it is especially concentrated in the seed. The compound is photoactive, causing primary photosensitization in cattle, sheep and birds. All animals consuming the seed should be considered at risk." If you are considering planting you should read the entire site entry because the toxicity effects can be a serious. As for me, I live in the country near grazing livestock and have decided to not introduce a plant with naturalizing potential that carries such a risk. Perhaps someone else can speak to this more?

Positive lobelialady On Dec 30, 2007, lobelialady from Griffith

I have experienced an invasion by Queen Anne's Lace, but I have to say that my experience was not as fraught as others...I saw one posting that said to dead head...and they are absolutely right. The bloom period for QAL can be extended by deadheading...but the umbells tend to become smaller with each incarnation... They are beautiful plants, I also have Bishop's Weed... I like it too, and all I have to do to control it is rip it out...and keep ripping it out!!!lol. I use it as a ground cover/foundation planting around the north side of my house... when it sends up its flower stems I pick them off. if all else fails run a lawn mower or weed eater over it... Of all the plants in my front garden the QAL drew the most comment. If cut flowers are what you want...they will be just fine if you cut them back. I prefer to leave most of them in the garden and pull the whole plant once the bloom begins to "head-up" and fold in on itself...don't compost them...bag them or burn them...or you will have an infestation. They are tap rooted, so a good tug is needed to dislodge them..they are forgiving of poor soil, but not poor drainage. Another roadside plant I've been trying to incorporate into my 'native plant' garden is beautiful blue (roadside) chicory... I like to concentrate on native species because they are drought tolerant and hardy...it took me a while to get smart but now I fill my gardens with native plants and they put on a good show...If you don't mind a little thinning and trimming I would say you will be surprised at how well you can incorporate the plants that some gardeners like to call "thugs".

Positive Louannie On Mar 10, 2007, Louannie wrote:

I'm not sure some of the notes here are accurate. Here is what I found on a site called wildflowerinformation.org about Ammi majus:

This is the "other" Queen Anne's Lace. The more common one, Daucus carota, the roadside weed in all 50 states, is considered an invasive pest in many areas, so probably should not be planted, although you may end up with it naturally in your meadow. This species (Ammi majus) is also called Bishop's Flower, and is an annual, while the more common one is biennial. This species (Ammi majus) is not invasive, but it can be toxic to animals, so keep that in mind. Very easy to grow, and great for cutting.

Some of the people here may be growing Daucus carota instead of Ammi majus. I'm no expert for sure, but that's what it sounds like. Both of these grow along the roadsides in Arkansas, sometimes right together in the same spot....the Daucus carota is always more plentiful and widespread than the Ammi majus. I've examined them both and I'm positive that there is a difference. I saved some seed from the Ammi majus that grows along the road that my mom's cabin is on, and I just sowed them today. I'm hoping that the people who have given such dire warnings are actually mistaken and are growing Daucus carota!

Negative girlndocs On Mar 7, 2007, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

When I was about 8 my mother was quite taken with this plant in a neighbor's garden and thrilled to death to be offered some of the "lovely groundcover".

By the time I was a teenager she was regularly cursing it. She'd planted it at one end of the flowerbed and it ate the entire space, impossible to slow down or get rid of, smothering everything else she tried to plant there.

Beware.

Neutral frostweed On Nov 22, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

False Queen Anne's Lace, Bishop's Weed, White Dill Ammi majus is Naturalized in Texas and other States.

Neutral JMGDJG On Jan 31, 2006, JMGDJG from Saint Charles, IL wrote:

I work at a retail nursery and frequently hear customers comment on how hard and confusing latin names are. However, common names can be even more so, especially when they are used for many different flowers!

Aegopodium podograria is the latin name for the Bishop's Weed that certainly is an aggressive groundcover, even noxious when it is where you don't want it. Many years ago, I inadvertantly brought some back with other plants from my mom and still pull a sprig or two each year.

Ammi majus is the latin name for Bishop's Lace, Bishop's Weed, or False Queen Anne's Lace. It is used in many floral arrangements. This will be my first year growing it and I hope it will add some airy white to the garden. While it is suppose to reseed, deadheading should help limit that. Hopefully I won't rue the day I planted it!

Daucus carota is the latin name for the Queen Anne's Lace commonly found along the roadside. It can be invasive and yet serves a great purpose as a host plant for black swallowtail butterflies.

Neutral Gabrielle On Jan 23, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I haven't had problems with this seeding everywhere, but I cut it back before it could. The flowers are very pretty, but I can see how it could easily get out of hand.

I have read that it grows in zones 3-9 (annual). Light aids germination of seeds.

Negative bc43 On May 3, 2005, bc43 from Jefferson, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Verty difficult to contain in a garden and escapes the garden readily. I do not recomend it

Negative laurawege On Apr 25, 2005, laurawege from Wayland, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

horrible horrible plant , extreemly invaisive . You will rue the day you plant this in your garden( I don't know why anyone would do that on purpose!). This plant was growing in my yard when we built our house 28 years ago and I still can't get rid of it . laura

Negative friar5 On Jun 12, 2004, friar5 from Scituate, MA wrote:

This plant will take over your garden if it is not contained. It spreads by both seed and side roots. A small patch of it was in our garden when we moved into our home 10 yrs ago and it has now taken over every perrenial bed in our entire 1 acre lot. I would avoid this species like the plague. Once it's in your garden it is impossible to get rid of. We've tried everything. Even poured gasoline over it and set it on fire. I suppose in the right setting it might be good, say on a hilly slope to stop soil erosion, but once again, you'd have to dead head all those white queen anne's lace type flowers before they set seed or next year you'll find it in other beds and it's really tough to pull out. Some people are allergic to the leaves and complain of a poison ivy type rash. It strangles everything in it's path once it takes hold... say goodby to your poppies, delphiniums and other cherished perennials.

Illicha,