Cow's Horn Agave, Lechuguilla Verde
Agave bovicornuta

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agave (a-GAH-vee) (Info)
Species: bovicornuta (boh-vy-kor-NOO-tuh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Bronze-Green

Succulent

This plant is monocarpic

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Chandler Heights, Arizona

Claypool, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

Thousand Oaks, California

Canton, Illinois

Terlingua, Texas

On Jan 19, 2015, digr from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I live in Phoenix AZ and have had 1 Cow's Horn agave in a container for about 8 years and do consider it my favorite out of all the different agave varieties I have. But it cannot take the full summer sun here. It likes shade or semi shade, and always see them planted under trees in commercial landscaping. Winter sun appears ok though, which so happens to be the case with many other types of vegetation. Also have never seen a pup from a Cow Horn, bummer! That's why I only have 1 plant. But they are quite stunning for an agave.

On Jun 9, 2013, desertbluegrass from TERLINGUA, TX wrote:

I don't want to offend anyone. I would like to possibly correct a bit of information in regards to the term lechuguilla. Agave lechuguilla and Agave bovicornuta are members of the same genus but not the same species. Agave bovicornuta is not actually a lechuguilla. Lechuguillas are native only to the Chihuahuan desert. If they are found in Arizona they are not a lechuguilla unless it is a transplant. I have thousands of the lechuguilla on my property but no Agave bovicornuta. The Cows Horn Agave is quite the beautiful plant though. I came across this item while researching propagation methods for Agave lechuguilla. I know it sounds strange if I already have numerous of them already. Here in the Chihuahuan desert, as any other locale, elevation, rain amount, and other requirements play a la... read more

On Aug 9, 2009, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9b coastal Otago.

Ive just bought one from the net and it's arrived in very poor condition, busted leaves, screamingly dry barerooted etc. I would rate it as 9/10 in extremis. I'll attempt to revive it and will report back on any success or otherwise.
Nice plant, hope it lives!

On Feb 8, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The common name for this native Mexican agave is "cow horn agave". The central buds resemble cows' horns. The shiny light-green leaves have contrasting chestnut-brown spines and strong bud imprints.The newly unfurled leaves have a satin sheen and bright-red young teeth. I believe it grows about 4 feet high and 6 feet wide which is in conflict with the information above. A truly unique looking agave.

On Feb 21, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Got this agave as a small seedling when it had bright bright green leaves and deep red marginal striping. ANd the surprise to me was it kept both traits as it grew into a large Agave. Fortunately it seems to be slow to sucker (in fact, I think it is a nonsuckering species) since it otherwise would have crowded out all the other plants in the area. Striking color for an agave and a wonderful landscape plant.

I have seen quite a number of these in Southern CAlifornia, growing from infancy to flowering adults. Perhaps this climate does not support their ultimate size potential, but never have I even seen one over 3' tall before flowering, though from Xenomorph's photo, I could believe that one is perhaps taller than 3'. Most plants here in So CAl flower at around 2.5'-3', ... read more