Agave geminiflora

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agave (a-GAH-vee) (Info)
Species: geminiflora (jem-in-ih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Littaea geminiflora
Synonym:Agave angustissima

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Yellow

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Chandler, Arizona

Mission Viejo, California

Reseda, California

San Marino, California

Yorba Linda, California

Lakeland, Florida (2 reports)

Winter Springs, Florida

Alvin, Texas

Port Arthur, Texas

Shepherd, Texas

On Feb 9, 2015, AZBuddyBoy from Sun City West, AZ wrote:

We have four agave geminiflora in our landscaping and think they are beautiful and unique. One of our plants is about two feet and round shaped and is blooming, inflorescence I guess is the term. Does anyone know if the bloom stick will cause it die? Can it be saved by removing the stick in it's early stage?

On Nov 28, 2012, growin from Beautiful, BC (Zone 9b) wrote:

I had the opportunity to see this plant in it's native habitat. It was a significant surprise, to the say the least. Instead of a dry rocky plain or the side of a cliff, this Agave inhabits the edges and right in the middle of dry river beds that are obviously wet during the rainy season. They didn't seem to grow far from the river bed either. The amount of shade produced by the large Oaks was also a surprise. It wouldn't surprise me if this Agave would benefit from some afternoon shade and summer irrigation in cultivation. The location is between Tequila, Jalisco and Tepic, Nayarit on highway 15 near where the Mex200D highway to Puerta Vallarta heads to the coast. The dry river bed is only a few metres from the highway 15.

On Sep 18, 2010, GermanStar from Fountain Hills, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful and "different-looking" (i.e. not your typical rosette) Agave, but I don't understand how folks manage to keep 'em alive. Talk about defenseless, I stuck a 5-gal sized plant in the ground, and it was half gone within two weeks -- rabbits and wood rats. I may just as well have planted a head of lettuce. If I try one again, I'll pot it, and keep the pot off the ground and on a pedestal.

On Jul 28, 2009, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9b coastal Otago New Zealand.

I picked up a couple of bare rooted geminiflora pups off the net, and they arrived pretty dry and gasping. For some reason they look 'tender' and I worried that Id lose them but a year on, theyre flourishing and Im very happy with them.
They hold a lot of leaves at once, and eventually grow into a spiny hedgehog ball, looking very striking in a rockery or massed under larger succulents. My specimens are not very hairy or filimenty, their leaves being perfectly smooth and olive green with a single terminal spine, having an almost round cross section. Leaves radiate out from a rounded caudex-looking base. They are flexible and succulent, and if underwatered or sun stressed will actually shrivel a little to let you know it's feeli... read more

On Jun 15, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I found this plant where I find most of my plants....foundering on a shelf in the gardening section of a home imporvement store. It did not look so good, and it was in the back in the dark, which I dont think it liked. It has gotten alot bigger since I brought it home.

I water it about once every two weeks, and it is planted in a mildly sandy soil. There are light green new fronds which have appeared recently, and its overall health is very good. This particular one has very little of the white "hairs" which I have heard some of these plants can get.

On Jun 2, 2005, dianella from melbourne
Australia wrote:

Saw this plant growing in melbourne botanic gardens has a magnificant flower spike, because it dosn't produce pups dies when flowers which is only once every 10 years! Will cope with frost. If in Melbourne check out the xeriscape beds in the botanic gardens which are full of succulents

On May 1, 2005, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Some examples of this species will exhibit no filaments or hairs on the cylindrical leaves.

On Jan 27, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Another 'hairy' or filamentous species of Agave (I am not that attracted to those) that looks a LOT like the local yuccas here in So cal. It has very thin, flexible, long leaves that are basically one long spine, with white, filamtentous 'hair'. There are hundreds of leaves per plant. It makes a good container plant. ONe of the few agaves that don't sucker. It also doesn't appear to be monocarpic. The one in first photo flowered last year and it's still there.

Got a new seedling recently and though it looks like Agave striata, it's spines are nearly harmless and rubbery.. much more user-friendly plant.