Broccoli 'Calabrese'

Brassica oleracea

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: oleracea (awl-lur-RAY-see-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Calabrese

Not Applicable

Mobile, Alabama

Clovis, California

Jacksonville, Illinois

Radford, Virginia

On Feb 4, 2010, carminator1 from mobile, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Flavor is very good, however it took forever for the broccoli to form and the main heads were just very small at least for me, I have very limited space to grow so I think I need a better performer with larger heads, will probably not grow again unless I have room for it.

On Jun 15, 2006, centralva from Richmond, VA wrote:

I"m currently growing this variety.It hasnt headed yet.I planted in early april.These were fairly small transplants.I started the seed in march.The transplants seemed weak and spindly.After an addition of compost and eggshells, they perked up and grew quite well.Im hoping that this isnt the reason that they havent headed yet.Im truly hoping that its the weather causing it.Every thing that Ive planted this year
has matured late and exceeded the normal harvest times called for.

On Jan 27, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Information only, I have not grown this variety.

Introduced to America by Italian immigrants in the 1880's and has been a popular market variety ever since.

The heads can grow up to 8" in diameter and it produces a great abundance of side shoots. Very early and freezes well.

On Mar 19, 2005, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenées
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a green heading broccoli. Delicious and nutritious.
The plant is harvested when the green buds of the flowerheads form a compact dome. The head is slightly less smooth in appearance than the creamy white 'curds' of couliflowers and white broccoli.

On Dec 2, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An oldtimer among the open pollinated broccolis. Very late season, I grew it for a fall crop many years ago, and a large plant. Main head isn't much but side shoots in profusion. Waltham is similar but has a better central head. However if you like florets over an extended period, it will produce them.