PlantFiles: Peach
Prunus persica 'Belle of Georgia'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: persica (PER-see-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Belle of Georgia

» View all varieties of Peaches

Edible Fruits and Nuts

By grafting
By budding

By bamagirl35973
Thumbnail #1 of Prunus persica by bamagirl35973

Positive Strelnikov308 On May 30, 2014, Strelnikov308 from Plainfield, IL wrote:

When I was growing up in north central Illinois, my dad had two Belle of Georgia peach trees in his front yard. My fond memories of the peaches from those trees prompted me to plant a tree in my back yard in the spring of 1999 soon after buying my house. That tree is still living although it won't have any fruit this year, probably because of the long cold winter (only the 2nd time since it started bearing). Last year we had so many peaches we didn't know what to do with them all, so I made wine (45 gallons) out of them. Wine made from these peaches is wonderful stuff, almost clear in color and very sweet. Belle of Georgia peaches have a unique flavor that is mild and very sweet. I have also grown Elberta and Polly varieties, but they just can't compare to the Belle of Georgia peaches. I also have a donut white peach, which is nice to have because it ripens between my apricots and the Belle of Georgia.

BTW my tree is a standard size tree. I have had no luck growing dwarf peach trees. The branches can't support the weight of the peaches and they break during the first big storm during bearing season. Dwarf trees are okay for small fruits like cherries but not for peaches.

Neutral AdamAgain On Jun 26, 2013, AdamAgain from SW, AR (Zone 8a) wrote:

The sweet, white flesh is mushy to work. The peak gathering window is short. Wildlife, jay birds, ants, etc. will tell you when the window is open. Texture wise, the sweet flesh is too mushy for me. I like a crunch.

Positive crewchief333 On Nov 22, 2008, crewchief333 from NIagara, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

This peach is awesome! the only problem I ever had with this plant is that if I wait until they start falling the fire ants eat the peaches.

Neutral annaprim On Mar 16, 2006, annaprim from Wheaton, IL wrote:

I grew this tree on a sunny, very well-drained slope in my yard in Hamden, Connecticut. It thrived and produced many blossoms, which I hand-pollinated with a small paintbrush. Whoa! The deluge began. I had to pick off many, many little peaches to make room for the best to grow.

Only problem was, I didn't count on the squirrels. They ate every last one of those surviving peaches. I should have netted the tree.

Neutral smiln32 On Dec 19, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This cultivar has been around for ages. It was introduced between 1850 and 1900. It is a fast-growing tree.

The fruit is large with brilliant red flowering. Very firm and highly flavored. White flesh. Freestone. Fruit trees need a minimum of 6-8 hours sunlight daily. Self-fertile.

Neutral supply On Apr 26, 2004, supply wrote:

Hello: I'm in zone 4 and while filling up at a gas station bought on impulse a "Belle of Georgia" thinking it must be right. However, looking up it's chaaractoristics, found it is too far north. However, it survived our first winter with -27 for a low and is now flowering beautifully. It did flower last year and I thined all the fruit while pea size to let the plant get hearty. Fingers crossed, be well

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 4, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite peaches. It is vigorous and disease resistant making it a consistent producer. I t is a medium sized white fleshed fruit that is exceptionally delicious. It is a soft fleshed peach that cannot stand the rigors of marketing, but for home use is unbeatable.

Gaylesville, Alabama