Dwarf Magnolia, Cempaka Telur, Cempaka Gondok, Coconut Magnolia

Magnolia coco

Family: Magnoliaceae
Genus: Magnolia (mag-NO-lee-a) (Info)
Species: coco (KO-ko) (Info)
Synonym:Magnolia pumila

Orlando, Florida

On Jul 3, 2012, musaboru from Ontario, CA wrote:

To my nose, the fragrance of Magnolia coco is similar to Magnolia liliifera but not as 'sharp' or 'piercing' and it is a tad more pleasant. I can detect notes of fresh pineapples, honeydew melons, canteloupe, a hint of strawberry and maybe a little bit of lychee. It's very complex; as if nature captured the scent of a tropical fruit cocktail, if you will.

I suspect fragrance may vary a little bit from plant to plant due to genetics. Not only that, there are selections that produce double flowers as well (see the photos uploaded by 'jnana'). The flowers on mine were smaller than I expected, about 3 inches or so.

In my experience here in So. California, the flower buds can take more than 7 months to fully develop. I believe this may be due to the dramatic differ... read more

On Sep 1, 2011, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very impressive and easy to grow dwarf Magnolia. It tolerates the cool winters of Athens very well (average temperature 50F/10C), but it needs protection from freezing temperatures. Perfectly adapted to our Mediterranean climate. The scent reminds me the smell of the fruit of Salak palm ( Salacca zalacca ), also it reminds the aroma of melon.

On Mar 16, 2008, snasxs from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

There are a few similar species. The one I have is the smallest. She is a shrub possibly smaller than Gardenia. Like Gardenia, they love acid soil too. I estimate the leaves are only 3-5 inches long. The white flowers of the unique Magnolia open quietly at sunset. Over night, she releases an intoxicating sweet-pineapple scent. The scent is unusually powerful. There is a reason to it. Most magnolias lack nectar, but the Magnolia coco is a nice exception - it secretes a nectar-like substance inside the flower. Sadly, after just one night of beauty and perfume, the short-lived flower falls off the second day. Gladly, Magnolia coco keeps producing new buds for 9+ months each year.

On Dec 4, 2003, Clare_CA from (Zone 10b) wrote:

It seems to like growing in moist soil in filtered sun. The leaves do sometimes get brown tips. Like Michelia Figo, the flowers only last one day, but the fragrance is wonderful. It is very cold sensitive.