Texas Flowery Senna, Flowering Senna, Flowery Senna, Tree Senna, Argentina Senna, Buttercup Bush
Senna corymbosa

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Senna (SEN-nuh) (Info)
Species: corymbosa (kor-rim-BOW-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Cassia corymbosa

Spencer, North Carolina

Columbia, South Carolina

Okatie, South Carolina

Six Mile, South Carolina

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Bastrop, Texas

Bellaire, Texas

Boerne, Texas

Burleson, Texas

Elgin, Texas

Euless, Texas

Flint, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Katy, Texas

Kingsland, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

Missouri City, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

North Zulch, Texas

Pflugerville, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)

Spring Branch, Texas

Temple, Texas

Willis, Texas

negative

On Feb 20, 2015, HNemerov from Bastrop, TX wrote:

For something reputed to be tropical, this plant has been a pleasant surprise here in Central Texas (USDA Zone 8B, AHS Heat Zone 10). I planted a hedge of four plants along a property line. In four years, they've grown into 4-6 foot shrubs. Evergreen down to around 20, deciduous down to 10-15. Blooms late summer-fall, covered with yellow flowers. Produces seed pods in late fall that turn brown and dry out in winter. Ours grow in light shade, and are heat & drought tolerant. Now they're established, I don't water them in the summer. I started my plants from locally-harvested seed, and now save seed for new starts. If you're looking for a hedge plant, or an accent in a large bed, this plant is worth considering.

On Sep 27, 2013, nana58 from Boerne, TX wrote:

Lots of good info and pictures posted. The pictures help a lot!
I live in the Boerne, TX area and planted 4 Senna trees in April. All are doing well except a couple of days ago, one tree started looking sad. The leaves are drooping and turning yellow and falling off the tree. It looks to me like I stopped watering it but that is not the case. It has been cared for and watered just like the 3 other Senna trees. They get morning shade and all afternoon/evening sun. Up until now, they have all been very happy in their environment. Any ideas?

On Dec 17, 2012, FallbrookGardnr from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

Mine is a tree about 12' tall. It was here when we bought the house. It is planted in the ground in a planter surrounded by a concrete patio. It faces the east with lots of full sun until about 2:00pm in the summer time. It has produced yellow flowering blooms for months now with no signs of stopping.
The tree had been neglected for many months & we thought it was dead...just needed some water to bring it back to life. Will need to do some pruning to get it into a nice shape, but so far I love this tree with its profuse yellow flowers that birds, humming birds & butterflies love!
Does anyone know how to plant from the seed pods it produces? Would love to plant another one somewhere else.

On Oct 3, 2011, fedorsc from Columbia, SC wrote:

My plant self sows prolifically. Great for plant swaps but not so good for weeding tasks. I tell those who get this plant from me take care of the seed pods so they don't spread in the garden.

On Sep 15, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

mine is planted inground, part shade. I planted it to lure sulphur butterflies in my garden. it's working.

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2014. I've observed that this plant behaves like a biannual in my garden. Luckily I get enough seedlings to replace the spent plants. I'm a bit disappointed b/c I was hoping it was a perennial. So if you notice your plant declining and you have not changed the way you care for it, it may be ending its biannual cycle.

On Mar 3, 2008, downhomejerry from Elgin, TX wrote:

I run a ranch for people with special needs (Down syndrome, etc.) east of Austin and bought a potted plant in spring 2005, planted it on an east/southeast side of a house. It took over, getting easily 7' tall with mounds of blooms.

I've got a bunch of seed pods from last falls flowers. The beany pod is dry on the outside but the inside seeds don't seem thoroughly dry. Anybody with experience propogating? We have greenhouses and may be interested in growing some. Always looking for good products that will do well in our Central Texas environment.

On Apr 30, 2007, texmexprincessa from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Bought this tree in a pot at a Louisiana open air market. Moved it to Texas, planted it on the West side of our house, and it has done great. Dies back each year, then grows to over 5 feet with luscious flowers and foliage in the fall. Breathtaking and very low maintenance. Curiously, we haven't had the seed pods...which is unfortunate because everyone that sees this beauty wants it.

On Oct 23, 2006, Kbelles_garden from New Orleans, LA wrote:

My sister found this plant growing in her garden in Metairie, Louisiana. It is about 9 foot tall, with profuse yellow flowers and many seed pods. We were wondering how it arrived here in New Orleans?

On Dec 7, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
Senna corymbosa, a native of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, has attractive, pinnate, deep green leaves with huge clusters of rich buttercup yellow (yellow-gold) 1 inch or so blooms. It is a naturalized species in parts of the southern U.S. It is easy to grow and requires a sunny location and well drained soil. It produces 3 to 4 inch seedpods in the fall. In addition, it is a host to butterfly caterpillars. This plant would make a lovely addition to any landscape.

On Dec 7, 2003, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow this plant from seed since last year. It has bloomed for me that first year even it was only a 12 cm plant! It is now out in the garden since this last spring and it has bloomed again for me at the end of summer. Though we had a little nightfrost it kept blooming. I don't know if it'll survive our winter because our winters are very unpredictable lately. I've planted them at very sheltered places and I'll cross my fingers. I live in the very south of The Netherlands in a zone 8a.