African Oil Palm

Elaeis guineensis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Elaeis (el-LEE-iss) (Info)
Species: guineensis (gin-ee-EN-sis) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Big Pine Key, Florida

Fort Myers, Florida

Grant, Florida

Loxahatchee, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

On Jul 25, 2010, billowen from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Planted about four months ago, this palm has taken off like a rocket.
If you desire a fast growing palm, this is it! I understand these palms grow in central and south Fla. and will recover in most cases from temps in the upper 20's. Update July 2011, I don't believe this to be a 10B rated Palm. Mine took two freezes and frost with little damage unprotected. Has now recovered and looking great with lightning fast growth. I have seen two large ones, about 40 feet in inland Lee County, Fl. These have taken several freezes in a row, they may be defoliated, but always come back.

On Jan 16, 2008, wreinha from Macomb, IL wrote:

I have just got a packet that contains six african oil palm seeds from Banana tree and I hope they will grow. I am hoping to figure out what to do with them they grow, I hope to keep all six of them or give some of them to the Missouri botanical gardens in St.Louis, Mo and to the Wsahington park botanical gardens In Springfield ,IL.
Wyatt Reinhart

On Nov 16, 2004, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

This is a great palm for a beginner in Florida. It loves lots of space, full sun, copious amounts of water, and plenty of fertilizer. Don't bother buying a large specimen, as it grows so fast you will be pruning it twice a year! The petioles are armed, so be careful when removing fronds. It is a lot of fun to watch these grow.

Keep in mind, however, that this is a tropical palm. It may survive for a few years in climates outside of the subtropics, but one hard freeze, and it's a goner. Also, make certain to choose a site far from obstacles like power lines. These palms have huge, sweeping fronds that are easily tossed about by the wind. They begin to bear fruit while young, and produce a tremendous amount over the years.

The only negative, is that ... read more

On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is a must have for Soutehrn California. This palm can survive from the coast all the way to places like the Salton Sea, Palm Springs, or Phoenix AZ. It prefers places like Palm Spings though. This palm is a fast grower, and in Phoenix AZ< which is a little cooler than Palm Springs, this palm is fruiting with 18 foot fronds and the same amount of trunk and still growing, and under 25 years old. (I think 17) THis beatiful palm is a must have!

On Dec 8, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a tropical tree of great economic importance throughout the world. The seeds of this palm are the primary source for palm oil used in all sorts of fattening foods. These are grown by the tens of thousands by many countries and the oil is exported around the world. As a landscape plant, it's pretty nice, but a bit scraggly at times. It doesn't grow well here in So Cal, but in a few micro-climates it survives. Some may tell you it's a good palm for So Cal, but it's not. No palm has survived long enough to form any decent amount of trunk I'm aware of, and they all looks sickly and sad. Best example of one I know of is in the excellent climate of the SAn Diego zoo... but still sad. However, in Florida, it does quite well. It grows WELL over 40 feet eventually (60-80' more like... read more