Pumpkin, Winter Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Jack Be Little'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Jack Be Little

Type:

Pumpkin (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:

Orange

Size:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Habit:

Vinton, Ohio

Nevada, Texas

Bremerton, Washington

On Jul 26, 2009, lemurianne from Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Wow, these are unbelievably prolific!! I planted these in early May (well before our last frost, but we had an unusually mild Spring), and I've already (in late July!) got buckets of these adorable little pumpkins from just two plants! I'd never realized that these were good for eating but I'm going to give it a try since we have so many. I grew the white ones as well and they are equally prolific. I did train them up a wire cage, but they outgrew it and spilled over into an adjacent bed, so I'll give them more room next year. Very impressed with these little guys :)

On Sep 27, 2008, DRJohnson from Bremerton, WA wrote:

These little pumpkins are fun and easy to grow.
This is my first year growing these little guys. They did take some time to set fruit.... I thought I was never going to get a female flower, but when the first one did appear they came on like crazy. I planted them next to a row of "Pumpkin on a stick" and they did just fine as neighbors in the garden. I'm looking forward to cooking with 'Jack Be Little'.

On Sep 10, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: At 3-4" in diameter and just 2" tall, these tiny little pumpkins can fit in the palm of your hand. Unlike mini round, smooth pumpkins, this variety has a flattened, ribbed shape. Decorate them for fall display with acrylic paints, markers, or glitter - or grow them to serve as mini-desserts, or to fill with soups or casseroles. Each plant produces 6-10 fruits on compact 8-10' vines.

On Mar 25, 2006, NatureWalker from New York & Terrell, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This true miniature pumpkin is the tiniest pumpkin in the world! It easily fits into the palm of your hand, measuring 3" - 4" across and 2" high. The color is an attractive deep orange. Kids love Jack Be Little - particularly to paint and decorate. It makes an attractive accent for fall centerpieces. The tasty flesh is as sweet as winter squash when cooked! The compact vines are 10' to 12' long, and each plant produces 6 to 10 fruit. The fruit will keep up to 12 months when stored in a cool environment (not refrigerated of course.)

I grow them upwards on a tomato cage. They do just fine... especially with a little pantyhose!

Days to Maturity: 95
When to Sow Outside: 2 to 3 weeks after last frost. Soil temperature should be at least 60 degr... read more

On Dec 9, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Arguably, the most popular miniature pumpkin frequently found in fall decorations. Can also be used for single-servings of baked squash.