Hybrid Lilac, Canadian Lilac 'Lavender Lady'

Syringa vulgaris

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syringa (si-RING-gah) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Lavender Lady
Additional cultivar information:(PP1238, Descano hybrid)
Hybridized by Lammerts
Registered or introduced: 1952
Synonym:Syringa x hyacinthiflora

Patent expired

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Moreno Valley, California

Newbury Park, California

Palmdale, California

Santa Clara, California

Ijamsville, Maryland

On Mar 28, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Common/French and Hyacinthiflora lilacs require substantial winter dormancy and do not bloom reliably south of Z6.

'Lavender Lady' was hybridized by Water Lammerts at Descanso Gardens in La Canada Flintridge, CA, Z10a, and is recommended for planting in southern CA. It would also be worth testing in Z8 and Z9 in the southeastern US.

However, Dirr says it's a hybrid S. vulgaris x S. laciniata. It won't have the traditional common lilac fragrance.

On Jan 31, 2014, EverCurious from Palmdale, CA wrote:

I planted 2 of these in our yard in autumn 2012. Almost immediately after planting they lost all of their leaves and went dormant, I thought they died but decided to wait and see if they'd bounce back in spring. I'm glad I did! They leafed out in March and bloomed in April. The blooms were beautiful though not incredibly fragrant, one was a light lavender with a lot of blooms, the other ended up more of a royal purple with smaller clusters. Shortly after that we had an early heatwave, unfortunately the foliage was still tender so it burned pretty badly, we lost almost all of the leaves. Again I thought it was a goner. Then it started to recover and, I couldn't believe it, it bloomed again! I've never heard of these being repeat bloomers, I don't know if it was just a freak occurrence or if... read more

On Jun 24, 2012, cebearden from Gulfport, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

Does anyone know if this plant will take the heat and humidity of the deep south...as in Mississippi? We certainly qualify for the low chill of winter but I need to know if it has the chutzpah to thrive in our hot/humid summers. Feedback welcome!!

On Oct 25, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1238 has expired

On Dec 9, 2003, Clare_CA from (Zone 10b) wrote:

Last year, I purchased several bareroot California Lilacs, called Descanso Hybrids. The colors that are available here are "Angel White," "California Rose," and "Lavender Lady." These hybrids were developed specifically to grow in the warm climate of Southern California and do not need the winter chill that most lilacs require in order to flower. They are featured at the Decanso Gardens in La Caada, CA.

They also grow certain French lilacs which bloom well in warm climates. It's my understanding that one can induce dormancy in warm winter climates by withholding water for a short period in the winter, and when the lilacs come out of dormancy, they will be better able to produce blooms. Lilacs can take 3-5 years to reach the flowering stage.