Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Licuala (lik-oo-AH-lah) (Info)
Species: peltata var. sumawongii

Loxahatchee, Florida

Agana Heights, Guam

St John, Mississippi

On Jan 6, 2013, sdollarfan from Waldo, WI wrote:

The only USDA zone 11 in the continental 48 U.S. states that I know of is in the Florida Keys (11a and b). This palm would probably do best there because of the subtropical climate.

On Feb 26, 2008, laspalmasdesign from Los Altos, CA wrote:

I've had variable success with this species way up here in the SF Bay Area. I've had several in the ground for a few years and, although very slow in growth, they have done pretty well despite our lack of much summer heat.

On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

To be honest, this palm thrives in all zone 10 and 11 areas of SOuthern California. It is not common to see though since they are rare and hard to sfind available.

On Dec 13, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the few species of Licuala that can be grown successfully in So Cal (most are too tropical). It is also one of the most beautiful species having very large nearly completely circular pleated unsplit leaves on long, dainty petioles. These large leaves set it up for wind damage so plant in a protected spot. I have not had luck with this species as I have never lived in quite a warm enough climate. I does much better in tropical climates than anywhere in So Cal, but some protected gardens have nice specimens here. This is a native of Thailand and Malaysia.

Directed to comments by the above inexperienced palm enthusiast: This palm is quite easy to find- always available from Hawaiian sources. Does not 'Thrive' anywhere in So California.. but survives. Does... read more