PlantFiles: Yellow Bells, Trumpet Flower
Tecoma stans 'Sunrise'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tecoma (tek-OH-muh) (Info)
Species: stans (stanz) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunrise

Seed is poisonous if ingested

By htop

Thumbnail #6 of Tecoma stans by growin

By trackinsand
Thumbnail #7 of Tecoma stans by trackinsand

Neutral Lizj On Nov 4, 2013, Lizj from Lake Havasu City, AZ wrote:

I planted two of these plants in Lake Havasu City, Az and they grew rapidly and did very well, that is until the quail came along. They eat the blooms and when the blooms are gone they start in on the leaves. Last year they literally stripped the two plants and I thought the plants were dead, but they came back this year and I am fighting with the quail to keep them away. Any suggestions from anyone who might have a similar problem?

Positive BUFFY690 On Aug 5, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love love love tecomas, I found some seed from this plant apparantly from a trade, and had to make sure of what I had. This will be the 'Belle' of my summer garden next year, I will also be planting a variety called ' orange jubilee' as well, I can't wait to take pics :0) I have grown this plant at the nursery I work and it is just a powerhouse, maybe in my location it will be a perennial if well mulched, even if it is not I will definately be collecting seed for the following year :0) Love Love Love

Positive pbkey13 On Jul 10, 2011, pbkey13 from Kingsville, TX wrote:

I sent my order to VA for my daughter who had moved from Texas. They came in perfectly healthy, we planted, and they are thriving. I am sure many of the neighbors are wondering what that beautiful yellow bloom is in her garden beds. They are beautiful.

Positive seekerb62 On Jan 22, 2011, seekerb62 from McDade, TX wrote:

This plant was new for us in 2010. We bought the plants and not knowing anything about them planted them in an area that was too small for them. They grew beautifully but now we need to move them. Can anyone advise me of the proper time to move them? We love the plants, don't to lose them but we must move them.

Positive trying84 On Nov 2, 2010, trying84 from Mount Dora, FL wrote:

About a year ago I found 2 yellow bell plants and planted them here in Mt. Dora, Fl. They have done great. Our past winter was a very severe one for our area; however, the plants survived without any cover or problem. I love them. Looking for 2 more, but, have not been successful. I accidentally found the two last year at Lowes.

Neutral yakmon On Jul 30, 2010, yakmon from Portland, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant that hummingbirds love in my area. As mentioned, it is drought tolerant once established, but I didn't realize how much they despise wet conditions. We have been experiencing a very wet summer in South Texas and 2 of my plants appear to have died from all of the water. I am waiting patiently to see if they will come back with drier conditions, but they don't look well. I have two other plants in the front of my yard that are planted on a downward sloping grade and they are doing well. We shall see what happens in the fall.

Positive Soapbox On Jul 4, 2010, Soapbox from Canton, TX wrote:

Last year I planted a Gold Star Esperanza and it was great. I planted it in a bed with wave petunia. In the winter I gathered the seed and in February planted the seed inside. The seed came up and looked like a petunia. By June I had some of the healthiest most beautiful Dark Pink wave Petunia's I've ever seen. I still don't know how this happened. By the way some of the seed did produce an Esperanza.

Negative daisey43 On Oct 16, 2006, daisey43 from Fredericksburg, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant and it grows well in the Texas Hill country. Today I found a long green seed pod on a plant. I picked it to see the seeds inside but it looked like I should let it dry out first. Some how I dropped the seed pod into my coke and had been drinking it. I ended up having bad stomach cramps about an hour latter. So I would mark at least the pod part as poisoness.

Positive outdoorlover On Aug 22, 2005, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I live on the edges of zones 6 & 7 (Enid, OK) and have planted this beautiful plant outside after wintering it inside the house. I hope it makes it through the winter because it is a lovely plant!!

Positive htop On Dec 22, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This esperanza (which means "hope" in Spanish) can attain a height and width of 5 feet produces clusters of lemon yellow trumpet shaped blooms which have copper veining in the tube (throat) and around the edges of the tube. The buds are deep copper and are beautiful themselves. The attractive foliage is deep green. It is a perennial in Zones 8a and 8b, but may be evergreen in Zones that do not experience hard freezes. It will die to the ground during a hard freeze, but will sprout in the spring (usually later than most other perennials) and will grow rapidly. It may be grown in containers with protection from hard freezes in colder regions. It is drought tolerant once established, has few insect problems (I have experienced no insect problems with my esperanzas), requires little care and blooms continuously until the first hard frost or freeze. It may be pruned to encourage a denser habit, control its spread and encourage more blooms (which really is not necessary).

Orange Beach, Alabama
Lincoln, Texas
Mc Dade, Texas
Portland, Texas
San Angelo, Texas
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Leesburg, Virginia