PlantFiles: Summer Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Early Prolific Straightneck'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Early Prolific Straightneck

51 to 60 days

Mature Skin Color:
Yellow

Size:
Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)
2 to 3 pounds (1 to 2 kg)

Habit:

Thumbnail #4 of Cucurbita pepo by Xenomorf

Thumbnail #5 of Cucurbita pepo by Xenomorf

Thumbnail #6 of Cucurbita pepo by Xenomorf

Thumbnail #7 of Cucurbita pepo by Xenomorf

Positive lssfishhunter On Feb 10, 2013, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety produces very well. The taste is as good as any or most. It is very popular around these parts. It is worth planting in any garden.

Positive tomatolarry On Sep 1, 2012, tomatolarry from Dalton, GA wrote:

I like this variety due to the straight neck having more flesh than the crook-neck variety. They produce and taste good however you prefer them.

Positive IvyLee On May 17, 2011, IvyLee from Columbus, GA wrote:

This website is great! Thanks to all your info, my husband and I was able to identify the mysterious plant that popped up in a vast leaf pile that we were using to fill in some "dead space" in the backyard. We have four huge healthy plants.
Now if we could only figure out how they got there.......
Thanks again for your great pictures and info!

Positive kitty_mom On Jun 11, 2010, kitty_mom from Waverly, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This squash is great! I have huge plants in my garden, and they are very prolific. They taste delicious too.

This is a note to newbie gardeners in the humid south (like me): keep your squash picked clean! Remove the closed up male flowers every day. (They taste great too!) Remove bad looking leaves. Pick the fruit as soon as it ripens. When the wilted female flowers come off easily from the fertilized fruit, remove them as well.

And to keep down on squash bugs, I've had success with mulching my squash with cedar mulch. They don't like the smell, I guess.

Anyway, I would heartily reccomend this summer squash to anyone in my zone and I definitely intend to grow this again next year.

Positive luckily77777 On Jun 14, 2006, luckily77777 from Fenton, MO wrote:

i decided i wanted to try growing squash in a pot, since my garden space is limited, and i love the darn things....my porch gets maximum sun...so i got this 21 quart pot , and since there were no zuccini seeds available i chose the early prolific straightneck...i started it from seed and put about six in this pot, and thinned them every day or so , as the less vigorous ones became obvious...i water it twice a day, and fertilize it once a week with miracle grow... as you can see... it is doing quite well

Positive VirginiaPesto On Mar 19, 2006, VirginiaPesto from Richmond, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This was my first attempt at Squash. It was grown 4 to an earthbox (approximately 3 cubic feet of dirt). In a wind-protected location that got good morning and midday sun, tapering off midafternoon, this plant grew and produced like nothing I have ever seen. It was in need of support shortly after planting, and produced very well. The taste was great, we used it mostly for risotto and would bread and fry or bake slices of them. A definite repeat for next year.

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 22, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This oldtimer was my father's favorite. Mother preferred the Ten Toes. It was and is the most prolific yielding of the open pollinated yellow squash. Flavor, in my opinion, is equal to the open pollinated crookneck.

Birmingham, Alabama