PlantFiles: Powderpuff, Red Calliandra, Kaliandra
Calliandra calothyrsus

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Calliandra (kal-ee-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: calothyrsus (kal-oh-THUR-sus) (Info)

Synonym:Calliandra confusa

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Good Fall Color

Thumbnail #5 of Calliandra calothyrsus by aimeric

Thumbnail #6 of Calliandra calothyrsus by palmbob

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Calliandra calothyrsus by growin

Positive HolyChickin On Mar 1, 2011, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

When I was 5 years old we lived in Ft. Myers, FL... I remember our neighbor had this tree. It's sweeping branches hung over into our yard which provided enough shade to play under it. I marvelled at how it looked like a perfect green unbrella with bright pink puffy flowers. It attracted a lot of butterflies too. I tried so hard to pluck flowers from it but, they were always out of my reach. Ever since, I have been in love with this tree.

About 8 years ago, I bought a miniature version and planted it in my Mother's back yard. It hasn't been doing very well because where she insisted I put it, doesn't get very much sun during the day. It's totally stressed and has been on the verge of croaking several times but, always made it through. I am thinking about digging it up and taking it off her hands.

I still really love the full size version of this tree... just don't have a place to put it because it can get kinda big. What is strange is, I never see it anywhere other than South Florida. I bet though, the miniature version would make a great bonsai... hmmm... project? I have a few seeds from a mini I collected over the weekend. I am going to try and get them to sprout.

Positive salidi On Aug 5, 2008, salidi from Tortola, VI (Zone 11) wrote:

We planted Calliandra seed two years ago and now have some very nice young plants, still in medium pots. The plant is particularly nice since it has the most interesting flowers - shaggy red powderpuffs preceded by the most interesting button-like buds. They have bloomed almost continously for several months. The foliage itself is worthy - the new leaves are a pinky-gold, darkening to a good dark green. The mature leaves are cleft, reminiscent of Bauhinia.

Positive Noturf On Dec 8, 2007, Noturf from Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French) wrote:

This small tree grows very slowly. It is not over used in Puerto Rico where I live.. One important aspect to have one in your garden, is that there are no leaves, seeds or dry flowers to collect, therefore it will not ruin your pavement if there is one. The beauty can be observed in any photo.

Positive palmbob On Dec 25, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This Central American tropical tree is actually grown in Asia more than in America- fast growing tree used for firewood and soil improvement/stabilization. This is a beautiful landscaping tree for the warmer areas of the US (coast So Cal- I can't grow this tree). It has large, red powder-puff flowers typical of many Caliandras.

Spring Valley, California