Powderpuff, Red Calliandra, Kaliandra
Calliandra calothyrsus

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Calliandra (kal-ee-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: calothyrsus (kal-oh-THUR-sus) (Info)
Synonym:Calliandra confusa

Good Fall Color

Spring Valley, California

Delray Beach, Florida

Longwood, Florida

North Fort Myers, Florida

On Mar 1, 2011, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

When I was 5 years old we lived in Ft. Myers, FL... I remember our neighbor had this tree. It's sweeping branches hung over into our yard which provided enough shade to play under it. I marvelled at how it looked like a perfect green unbrella with bright pink puffy flowers. It attracted a lot of butterflies too. I tried so hard to pluck flowers from it but, they were always out of my reach. Ever since, I have been in love with this tree.

About 8 years ago, I bought a miniature version and planted it in my Mother's back yard. It hasn't been doing very well because where she insisted I put it, doesn't get very much sun during the day. It's totally stressed and has been on the verge of croaking several times but, always made it through. I am thinking about digging it up and ta... read more

On Aug 5, 2008, salidi from Tortola, VI (Zone 11) wrote:

We planted Calliandra seed two years ago and now have some very nice young plants, still in medium pots. The plant is particularly nice since it has the most interesting flowers - shaggy red powderpuffs preceded by the most interesting button-like buds. They have bloomed almost continously for several months. The foliage itself is worthy - the new leaves are a pinky-gold, darkening to a good dark green. The mature leaves are cleft, reminiscent of Bauhinia.

On Dec 8, 2007, Noturf from Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French) wrote:

This small tree grows very slowly. It is not over used in Puerto Rico where I live.. One important aspect to have one in your garden, is that there are no leaves, seeds or dry flowers to collect, therefore it will not ruin your pavement if there is one. The beauty can be observed in any photo.

On Dec 25, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This Central American tropical tree is actually grown in Asia more than in America- fast growing tree used for firewood and soil improvement/stabilization. This is a beautiful landscaping tree for the warmer areas of the US (coast So Cal- I can't grow this tree). It has large, red powder-puff flowers typical of many Caliandras.