PlantFiles: Summer Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Dixie'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dixie
Hybridized by Asgrow

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Type:
Crookneck (summer)

41 to 50 days

Mature Skin Color:
Yellow

Size:
Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Habit:
Bush

Cucumber mosaic virus (VMV)

Hybrid

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #1 of Cucurbita pepo by Farmerdill

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #2 of Cucurbita pepo by Farmerdill

By berrygirl
Thumbnail #3 of Cucurbita pepo by berrygirl

Positive lssfishhunter On Jan 2, 2013, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety grows pretty well here. It's not my favorite hybrid but it is adequate. The plants didn't bush as much as the regular straights or crooks but they produced as much or more than the regular types that are widely used in these parts. I would grow them again though. I can't tell much of a difference in the taste.

Neutral MerryPlanter On Jul 3, 2009, MerryPlanter from Long Beach, MS wrote:

My first attempt at squash: First fruit was about 6 inches, but all ripe fruit since have been tiny, only about 3-4 inches and very thin. Have been reading that more water may help. We have had an unusual dry spell, but I have been watering regularly. Will try watering more deeply at each watering.

Positive berrygirl On Jun 22, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my first year growing this squash. I must say it has a very nice mild flavor. Due to our drought the fruits are small. I'm having to water almost daily even thoug they are growing in raised beds. I selected them b/c of their compact bush habit to grow in the beds. They are by far the smallest squash plants I have ever grown.

I will definitely grow these again.

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 27, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Dixie is the most popular market garden crookneck in this area. It is resistant to cucumber mosaic which can render yellow squash unmarketable. I am a hobby grower so I am not as concerned with appearance. I prefer Horn of Plenty for flavor although some years I will get a number of green mottled fruit. Dixie is a good producer and looks good. Flesh has a higher water content than I like.

Augusta, Georgia