Scallop Squash, Patty Pan Squash, Summer Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Sunburst'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunburst

Type:

Scallop (summer)

41 to 50 days

Mature Skin Color:

Yellow

Size:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Habit:

Greer, South Carolina

Radford, Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Aug 4, 2007, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Received the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), 2006 Award of Garden Merit.

On Jul 11, 2007, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

My favorite summer squash to date. Such a bright cheerful yellow color, as well as excellent taste and creamy, buttery texture. (I personally prefer the patty pans and the lebanese coosa types for flavor - the crooknecks and regular zucchini seem flavorless and spongy to me.) Extremely productive.

On Jul 30, 2006, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

Another of my favorites. Some of my friends like it better than yellow crookneck, but to me they are rather different and both excellent. I find it very easy to grow and grow it every year. I think it is a little tastier than the White Bush Scallop, but they both look beautiful in a bowl by themselves or with other squash.

On Jul 7, 2006, kurtwall from Clairton, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've had good luck so far growing this in the Pittsburgh area.

On Jun 7, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This variety was very prolific for me in 2004 in the Des Moines, Iowa area. The squash were best when they were small, but the larger ones worked well in veggie lasagne! I grew them alongside tomatoes and the plants seemed to do well with the support of the tomato cages, which also made it easier to pick (and find!) the squash. It was a prolific producer until frost. I am growing again in 2005 in raised beds and will report on success.

On Oct 18, 2004, trifunov from Brandon, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is an F1 Hybrid (50 days). Designated as an AAS in 1985. The plant is a compact, open habit bush. Best picked when the squash is young, when it is 2-3" in diameter.

On Dec 27, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Sunburst is an early yellow bush scallop. It is very prolific and tastes as good as most of the scallops. In my opinion not as good as the yellow crooknecks. In this area I get a lot of green on the blossom scars and once in a while the whole squash will be green. It apparently is very susceptible to cucumber mosaic,