Zucchini, Courgette, Summer Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Eight Ball'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Eight Ball

Type:

Zucchini (summer)

41 to 50 days

Mature Skin Color:

Medium Green

Size:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Habit:

North Augusta, South Carolina

Refugio, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Jul 18, 2009, Buckeyebabe from Ashland, OH wrote:

I personally have had no luck with this variety here in Ashland Ohio. I never got it to germinate. This is my first year gardening so it could have been me as well. But my regular zucchini is practically taking over the garden! So I am not sure what is going on. I was looking forward to this plant. I will try germinating indoors next year like eggplant. I will give it a neutral rating since I am not sure if it's me or the plant.

On Oct 31, 2008, saanansandy from Sue, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've grown "Eight Ball" for a couple of years now. I've had excellent yields and the taste is excellent. I like to pick it when it's the size of a baseball but have used it at the size of a soft ball. Some olive oil, chopped garlic, fresh rosemary in a heated pan-add thin slices of Eight Ball. Cook until tender over med heat. Very good!

On Sep 11, 2008, kmom246 from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the first time growing here in the desert. Got 100% germination, but scorching temps near 100*F killed about 50% when they got to the "first true leaf" stage. Like all squash in the desert, they required much more water than when I lived in the San Joaquin Valley. Also, had to hand pollinate early in the morning before the sun killed the pollen. Not as prolific as Black Beauty, but made great stuffed squash. A little stronger tasting than Black Beauty, but that may have been because I didn't seem to pick them as small as I should have. The plants are bushy more than viney, and both stems and leaves have the zucchini "prickles" on them. My chickens loved the young leaves.

On Jun 13, 2008, nancyjane from South Texas, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Grows very well in South Texas. Must be picked everyday or it will grow to the size of a large grapefruit in a day and a half. It is a must for cooking the mexican dish "Calabaza con Pollo". Produces even in our very hot and humid 90's.

On Aug 4, 2007, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Received the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), 2006 Award of Garden Merit.

I want to add to my comment. I grew this this year and I love it. Great for saving space in the garden. 9-4-08

On Mar 20, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

The Eight Ball is the perfect squash for those like myself
who eat squash as a meal in the summer. Perfect
size for one, throw in two for a couple.

Very busy bushes, neat and tidy and quite the
conversation piece. The taste is wonderful.

Salt, pepper, a bit of butter and summer time. MMM!

On Nov 20, 2004, Kachinagirl from Modesto, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I tried to grow these last year. The strangest thing happened. I got nothing but male flowers, not a single fruit the whole season. I grew them from seed and placed 3 plants in close proximity (about 36 inches apart) to eachother hoping for a great crop.......nada!

On Sep 19, 2004, gershom613 from Sandstone, MN wrote:

This is the earliest-producing zucchini I have ever grown -- about 50 days from planting the seed directly in the ground. It is also far more tolerant of cold, damp weather than any other summer squash I've grown. This summer (2004) was unusually cold, damp, and VERY rainy here in Northern Minnesota (we actually had record lows and FROST in mid-August). My other zucchinis succumbed to powdery mildew or simply did not come up at all, but the Eight Balls kept right on producing those nice round squashes. The August frost took down some of the outer leaves but did not get the growing tips, so as of today (Sept 19, 2004) I am still harvesting.

The fruits are much sweeter in flavor than other zucchini, too. They are best harvested when they are about three inches across... read more

On Dec 27, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This was the first year to try this cultivar. It is a dark green round zuchini from Hollar. It is vigorous and prolific. At its most edible stage, it is the size and shape of a pool (billiard) ball. Attracts a lot of attention as a novelty.