Red Dragon Flower, Heurnia

Huernia schneideriana

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Huernia (hew-ERN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: schneideriana

Cactus and Succulents

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Chandler Heights, Arizona

Round Rock, Texas

Mukilteo, Washington

Tacoma, Washington

On Jun 24, 2015, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I inherited my plants from my Aunt and I know she had them for many years on her lanai. In Florida you need to be careful of too much rain, I've had branches rot from too much rain. It can take pretty cold, but I've lost parts from too cold of temperatures also, so I protect if we are going down to freezing temps. Too much sun will burn and dry up the branches, prefers filtered sun or bright shady area. That said it make a nice plant on my porch where it gets bright light, some morning sun and hand watering. I have started one in a hanging pot on my wall from pieces of the mother plant. looks nice hanging too.

On Aug 28, 2012, Nefitara from Port Richey, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows well in central Fl. on the Gulf side! Easy to take care of.

On Oct 10, 2011, HilltopPooh from Tacoma, WA wrote:

I love this plant, at least, I think the one that I have is this one, mine has a more 'burgundy' colored flower, very deep, but from all the pictures I've found on the Huernia plants, and mine appears to be, this is the closest I could find. It's so easy to grow indoors. Most of the people I see here are from southern states, so I'm not sure if people realize what a great house plant this makes. One of my favorite things to do is to get it to grow in different 'settings', some of mine drape over the pot and hang, some I've allowed to form a puzzle-type ball, some I've moved 'under' the window, so they grow up instead of 'out' and 'down'. It's so forgiving and wonderful! When it grows what I call 'babies' I create other plants from them by 'diapering' them with a moist napkin, when the... read more

On May 21, 2008, IRFAN_LODHI from faisalabad
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

i found this plant is a suitable succulent for our climate . i get two
piecees of this plant last year and sow into simple soil in a deep pot
and watering it regularly not over water and in spring its multiplied .
it is a stemless plant it is multiplying from roots .no spine on plant .
it is a spreading succulent .i provide it shade and not direct sun light it is a careless plant .

On Oct 6, 2006, plantladylin from (Zone 1) wrote:

Love this plant, very easy to grow. I've had this plant for more than 20 years ... planted in regular old potting soil! Very easy to root the little "arms" as I like to call them. Will put out roots wherever it touches soil! I grow it as a houseplant inside, in baskets in my screen room and also in the ground. It likes bright light, but no direct sun.

On Feb 17, 2005, Kauai17 from Leander, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this succulent. You will always find me rubbing it between my hands. It looks spiky but it is super soft. The blooms are too cute as well. Very easy to take care of and it multiplies quickly.

On Aug 10, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I started off with a small 6 inch section of this plant that I placed in a hanging basket. This was in the fall of 2003 by the fall of 2004 it had filled the 8 in hanging basket and had started to set blooms.......
I really like it and would recommend it to others as an easy grower.