PlantFiles: Cushaw Pumpkin
Cucurbita mixta 'Green Striped Cushaw'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: mixta (MIKS-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Striped Cushaw

Light Green
Medium Green
Striped

Size:
12 to 20 pounds (5 to 9 kg)

Habit:

Thumbnail #3 of Cucurbita mixta by Farmerdill

By aswope
Thumbnail #4 of Cucurbita mixta by aswope

Positive HamW On Sep 7, 2012, HamW from Hayes, VA wrote:

A friend gave me two green striped cushaw squash. They are similar to what my Grandmother raised in her garden and called "Japanese Sweet Potatoes" (although they're definitely NOT a sweet potato!). I had a handed-down recipe for a "Japanese Sweet Potato Pudding" which I remember as absolutely delicious. It's kinda like a sweet potato pie without the crust although it has crushed pineapple, coconut and, I added, raisins. FANTASTIC!! The squash my Grandmother raised was dark green with orange markings, about a 8" dia bulb portion and a long, slightly curved, 4" dia neck, giving it an overall length of about 20" - 24". In addition to making the pudding, she sliced the neck into 1/2" thick 'rounds', floured and fried them. These fried slices were always served with sprinkled sugar. WOW!! I sure would like to find some seeds for these old-time squash! Does anyone know/remember this variety??

Positive digger808 On Aug 21, 2012, digger808 from Winchester, VA wrote:

This year, a hot and wet one, was my first time growing cushaws. I don't have a benchmark other than the tan cheese pumpkins and ice cream canteloupes that didn't produce, but I would say these have been extremely productive. As far as the taste, although they are supposed to be aged first, we snuck one anyway and quickly made a pie with it using a modified recipe we found online - it was beyond superb - something like a cross between pumpkin and creme brulee I think. For other reference points, I've had no problems with the SVBs that shred my regular zucchinni. All the other squash bugs are present too, but don't appear to have impacted the cushaws. Powdery mildew occured but was controlled with Serenade. The only fertilizer added this year was composted chicken manure. As far as space requirements, it's late Aug. and the vines are 40-50' long and still going.

Positive ddot On Mar 27, 2010, ddot from Bridge City, TX wrote:

My grandfather grew this cushaw in southeast Texas, along the Texas , La. gulf coast back in the 1960's. He would make pies from it. They were delicious. I now have seeds from it, which I will grow starting this month. Will let ya'll know how they come out.

Positive plschang On Dec 3, 2008, plschang from Roan Mountain, TN wrote:

The Cushaw Pumpkin makes the best pumpkin pie I have ever
tasted. I highly recommend you try this pumpkin.

Positive katladie On Aug 15, 2004, katladie from French Settlement, LA wrote:

We had one come up "volunteer" . I can't remember how many fruits it yielded, but it was a lot. What I can remember is having to walk through the vine without walking on it. It came up about half way across the side yard on the way to one of Daddy's dog pens. It does take up lots of space.

Sharon

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 30, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the most popular Cushaw. As a kid we used to grow them in the cornfields. It is a quite sturdy plant and a prolific yielder. In the New River valley I once picked 12 fruits averaging 15 lbs from a single plant. The fruit resembles a giant crookneck squash, light green with darker green stripes. Excellent for pies and keeps remarkably well for a thin skinned pumpkin.

Rosston, Arkansas