Cushaw Pumpkin, Winter Squash
Cucurbita mixta 'Green Striped Cushaw'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: mixta (MIKS-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Striped Cushaw

Light Green

Medium Green

Striped

Size:

12 to 20 pounds (5 to 9 kg)

Habit:

Radford, Virginia

Troy, Virginia

Winchester, Virginia

On Jun 11, 2015, Angelina32310 from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

The Green Striped Cushaw resists the Squash Vine Borer, I can see where the borers have drilled into the vine but the vine doesn't die like most other squash, it just keeps on growing and putting on squash of varied sizes. It doesn't run as far or fast as Rumbo squash but they will go 15' or more and put on 8 to 10 squash per vine.

On Sep 7, 2012, HamW from Hayes, VA wrote:

A friend gave me two green striped cushaw squash. They are similar to what my Grandmother raised in her garden and called "Japanese Sweet Potatoes" (although they're definitely NOT a sweet potato!). I had a handed-down recipe for a "Japanese Sweet Potato Pudding" which I remember as absolutely delicious. It's kinda like a sweet potato pie without the crust although it has crushed pineapple, coconut and, I added, raisins. FANTASTIC!! The squash my Grandmother raised was dark green with orange markings, about a 8" dia bulb portion and a long, slightly curved, 4" dia neck, giving it an overall length of about 20" - 24". In addition to making the pudding, she sliced the neck into 1/2" thick 'rounds', floured and fried them. These fried slices were always served with sprinkled sugar. WOW!! I s... read more

On Aug 21, 2012, digger808 from Winchester, VA wrote:

This year, a hot and wet one, was my first time growing cushaws. I don't have a benchmark other than the tan cheese pumpkins and ice cream canteloupes that didn't produce, but I would say these have been extremely productive. As far as the taste, although they are supposed to be aged first, we snuck one anyway and quickly made a pie with it using a modified recipe we found online - it was beyond superb - something like a cross between pumpkin and creme brulee I think. For other reference points, I've had no problems with the SVBs that shred my regular zucchinni. All the other squash bugs are present too, but don't appear to have impacted the cushaws. Powdery mildew occured but was controlled with Serenade. The only fertilizer added this year was composted chicken manure. As far as s... read more

On Mar 27, 2010, ddot from Bridge City, TX wrote:

My grandfather grew this cushaw in southeast Texas, along the Texas , La. gulf coast back in the 1960's. He would make pies from it. They were delicious. I now have seeds from it, which I will grow starting this month. Will let ya'll know how they come out.

On Dec 3, 2008, plschang from Roan Mountain, TN wrote:

The Cushaw Pumpkin makes the best pumpkin pie I have ever
tasted. I highly recommend you try this pumpkin.

On Aug 15, 2004, katladie from French Settlement, LA wrote:

We had one come up "volunteer" . I can't remember how many fruits it yielded, but it was a lot. What I can remember is having to walk through the vine without walking on it. It came up about half way across the side yard on the way to one of Daddy's dog pens. It does take up lots of space.

Sharon

On Dec 30, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the most popular Cushaw. As a kid we used to grow them in the cornfields. It is a quite sturdy plant and a prolific yielder. In the New River valley I once picked 12 fruits averaging 15 lbs from a single plant. The fruit resembles a giant crookneck squash, light green with darker green stripes. Excellent for pies and keeps remarkably well for a thin skinned pumpkin.