Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Veterans' Honor'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Veterans' Honor
Additional cultivar information:(aka Veterans' Honor, JACopper, City of Newcastle, City of Newcastle Bicentennary, Five Roses Rose, Lady in Red, Veterans' Honor, )
Hybridized by Zary

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Habit:

Shrub

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Susceptible to black spot

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Gainesville, Virginia

Des Moines, Washington

negative

On Aug 20, 2013, IrisZ7 from Ellicott City, MD wrote:

I have over 100 roses growing in Delaware (7A). My Veteran's Honor gets black spot yearly and this year it was so bad that the bush is almost bare of leaves; far worse than any of my other roses. I use Bayer on it, but go organic with most others. After three years of putting off spade shoveling this one, I am just about ready to toss. The excuse I always make is that the blooms are fragrant and gorgeous (when I get blooms) and they last long on the bush and in a vase. Currently looking for a healthier replacement.

On Apr 7, 2007, Maria2354 from Fernandina Beach, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had two Veterans Honor rose trees for 3-4 years now. They have beautiful blooms from spring to fall but are also high in maintenance. I agree with angela_1 because black spot is a major concern in (North) FL. I have to keep the trees on a weekly regimen of Bayer Disease Control all summer long (after trying multiple natural and chemical remedies) and even then, affected leaves are numerous. Now the (artificial looking) bark of one of the trees is peeling off and I am not sure what effect that could have on the tree an inquiry to J&P remained unanswered. Anyway, every year the beauty and scent of the blossoms make up for the trouble!

On Jan 25, 2007, angela_1 from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

I have had great success with this rose. I have grown it in Roanoke, VA and Navarre, FL. I had trouble with blackspot in FL but no more than any of my other rose bushes. No problems in VA. I submitted a photo of my daughter holding a bloom. The blooms are huge. The petals are thick and like velvet. Note how nice the stems are for cutting. Good fragrance. I now live in TN and there will be a Veteran's Honor in my garden.

On Aug 11, 2005, LaLambchop from Chapin, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

If one could only have one red rose, this would be my pick. The blooms are stunning. They are 5" with a 25-30 petal count. Stem length is 18"-22" and the foliage is dark-green, semi-glossy.

On May 21, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great red rose. It needs some winter protection in my zone 5 garden but is a great bloomer and nice cut rose.

On Dec 31, 2003, Colorado_Roseman from Loveland, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

When I first got this rose Mr Lincoln was my favorite red rose. He has now become #2 as Veteran's Honor is that beautiful! Some say VH has no fragrance but both of mine have a wonderful delicious fragrance. Very pleasing to the nose as well as the eye!