Lifesaver Plant

Huernia zebrina

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Huernia (hew-ERN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: zebrina (zeb-REE-nuh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Paris, Texas

Spring, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

On Aug 30, 2015, purpledahlia from Bronx, NY wrote:

we were quite pleasantly surprised by the first bloom yesterday 8/29/15. had no idea it was going to flower. i see two buds behind the first bloom. a very unique little plant. note: we are growing it in a random mix of soils that include the little bit of soil that it came in, which was probably a sandy mix, but the majority is not a cactus mix by any means. so apparently it's very adaptable.

On Oct 1, 2014, hawaiigirl1617 from Kapaa, HI wrote:

I have my first bloom. So excited! Noticed several much smaller ones as well. Purchased from hardware store beginning of summer. In a shallow terra cotta pot. Partial shade with a few hours of full sun. Loving it!

On May 11, 2013, Kicoop from South Venice, FL wrote:

I am blooming in Venice, Florida!

On Jun 9, 2010, Ltehouse from Albany, GA wrote:

This is an intriguing plant for sure. I have seven 'lifesavers' on my plant today and there is a strange looking, pointed, six inch long what I assume is a seed pod growing out of this plant. It's been there for several weeks and I hope to find out soon what is inside of this 'thing' coming up out of the ground.

On May 17, 2010, tvksi from Paris, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Had one for years but was ill one late fall and unable to get my plants in and lost it to the freeze. Otherwise it is a joy and realy undemanding. The first time it bloomed I was tickled pink! Had never seen anything like it before!

On Nov 5, 2008, debbiesc from Columbia, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought my Lifesaver two years ago at a garden club plant sale and this year it surprised me and bloomed. One of the coolest flowers I have. My plant is planted in a small terracotta plant and stays on my front porch on the southeast side during Spring and Summer, and inside in a south-west exposure during the 3 - 4 months of Winter. I water it when it gets dry, but other than that, it takes minimal care.

On Sep 27, 2005, cactus_lover from FSD
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

The name refers to the zebra-like stripes on the flowers.
The five striped lobes surround a thick purple central ring.
The whole flower being about 4cm(1.6in) across.

On Aug 13, 2005, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

A friend just gave me a specimen of this plant, and I just love it! She knew it only as "Lifesaver plant," based on the center part of the bloom resembling a piece of Lifesaver candy, and I was able to find the Latin name by searching under "Lifesaver" on this site. A very unique bloom, and an easy-to-grow plant. My friend had several pots just sitting out under one of her trees. I've just uploaded a couple of photos.