Adenia
Adenia fruticosa

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Adenia (a-DEE-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: fruticosa (froo-tih-KOH-suh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Pale Yellow

Blue-Green

Thousand Oaks, California

Indian Trail, North Carolina

On May 19, 2011, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I absolutely love this plant. I ordered mine from Grassy Knoll Exotic Plants and I expected to get a tiny little plant but when it arrived, it was actually quite large with a beautifully formed and rather big caudex. It has only one stem so far, but that one stem is growing like mad in the very sunny window that I put it in. I have it climbing up and mixing with a Passiflora mathewsii and a Passiflora hellerii. So far, I have not had any problems with this Adenia. I don't give it a lot of water for fear of rotting it. It seems to thrive on the little bit of water it gets when I do water it and I also mist it a lot and I think it benefits from that too. The main stem is already about 12" tall and it just keeps growing. I have thought about pinching it back but I don't know enough about this... read more

On Nov 12, 2009, unccgardener from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I have this plant growing in a 3 galllon container and it has performed well for me. I put it outside in the summer here in zone 7, inside the house in winter. Definately worth having.

On Aug 17, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice caudiciform deciduous vine with blue-green leaves and fat, dark green trunk. Gets really fat if planted in ground and watered well in summers. Too cold sensitive to do this in So Cal, though. I have had several and managed to rot most of them, but great plants.

I have to edit this comment after seeing a nice clump of this plant growing outdoors in the Huntington arboretum (9b-10a climate)... amazing.