Plover Eggs Plant

Adromischus cooperi

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Adromischus (ad-roh-MIS-kus) (Info)
Species: cooperi (koo-PER-ee) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Not Applicable

From leaf cuttings

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Carlsbad, California

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

On Nov 21, 2015, Yiwei from Singapore
Singapore wrote:

Hi everyone!

My Plover Eggs Plant leaves are showing signs of wrinkle..
Is that a sign that I am over-watering?

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I am not entirely sure my plants are Adromischus cooperi -- the parent was sold to me as A. bolusii which is part of A. caryophyllaceus. However mine don't look like caryophyllaceus, more like cooperi. This is the first winter for this species in the ground in my garden and it has so far survived several days of frost with a low of 26F, although with a cover of fallen deciduous leaves. I tried A. cooperi before in light shade and it did not survive. These new plants are in a moderate level of filtered shade.

On Oct 24, 2008, BlissfulGarden from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

South African native (Eastern Cape, Noorsveld) Dwarf succulent, forms shrublets with cylindrical tapered silvery-green leaves 1 to 2 inches long marbled with purple spots. Great window sill plant up to 3 inches tall. Let the soil dry between soaking; in the wild it receives rain mostly in spring and fall. Can be propagated by leaf cuttings or seeds. Protect from frost.

On Mar 29, 2008, Neuling from Carrollton, TX wrote:

I have managed to get three leaves to root and produce small plants for me. It is not the fastest at growing from a leaf, but it is certainly rewarding nonetheless.

I've noticed the spots becoming darker in sunlight and for the most part it requires very little care.

An excellent plant for those who are absentminded of plants.

On Feb 7, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. It can have a striped variegation on some leaves if the light it receives is "just right". The tips of the leaves can be slightly indented.

Note: Adromischus seeds are very small and seed propagation is rarely used. It is easily propagated by leaf cuttings. Twist off a leaf and permit it to dry out a couple of days, lay it on the soil and insert the stem end partially into the soil. The original leaf should not be removed until it has dried up. Try to keep the leaf somewhat upright so that the roots are able to grow downward. If grown in a container, bottom watering by immersing the container is recommended.

On Jan 10, 2005, salvia_lover from Modi'in