Bitter Aloe, Red Aloe, Cape Aloe, Alligator Jaw Aloe

Aloe ferox

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: ferox (FER-oks) (Info)
Synonym:Aloe candelabrum

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Mid Winter

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Apache Junction, Arizona

Canoga Park, California

Chowchilla, California

Fresno, California

Los Angeles, California

Martinez, California (2 reports)

Mission Viejo, California

Palm Bay, Florida

Metairie, Louisiana

Sugar Land, Texas

On Feb 7, 2015, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Per Jan Emming owner of the Destination:Forever Ranch and Gardens, a 40 acre desert botanical garden and sustainable living homestead in the Arizona desert with a nursery:

Aloe ferox is a widespread and common aloe in South Africa, and can be found in a variety of habitats including this Succulent Karoo scrub in the Huisrivier Canyon west of Calitzdorp. They had finished blooming a few weeks before and are setting seed pods. It would have been wonderful to see this scene with blazing orange or red flowers, but it was mid-spring and just a bit too late at the time we were there.

On Jan 3, 2013, Joy2Foragers from Holden Heights, FL wrote:

I had one in the ground once, but it rotted away in my region's humid summer. I purchased another plant online, kept it in a pot, and it's doing fine. I move it in when we are getting a lot of rain. Requires extra care if you live near or in Zone 10, such as very well drained soil, but otherwise idiot-proof!

On Dec 29, 2009, ogrejelly from Gilbert, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased and planted an Aloe Ferox last year and already see that it is growing fast. I posted this just now because I live in the Phoenix area and we just had a pretty cold night bottoming out at 29 degrees. I was away for Christmas and I returned with the dark thought I may have lost some of my plants. Uncovered and exposed, the Ferox did just fine. Just thought others might like to know, if they are considering one, that they can hold up to a pretty good freeze.

On Jan 26, 2009, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9b Coastal Otago NZ

This aloe and it's confusingly numerous hybrids (I think I have about three different forms though theyre still quite young and it's hard to tell) are great for the novice aloe enthusiast because they look impressive from an early age and Ive found them to be very forgiving. You can forget about them for a half a year and they'll sit in the corner gasping for water but not dying on you and will revive and replump with a gratifying generosity of spirit.
We get only light frosts usually, with the odd hard one every couple of years and these guys have never sustained damage in my maritime 9-ish zone; I grow both in pots and in the ground and both situations have proven hardy. That said, I wouldn't like to freeze the poor thing solid so if you... read more

On Jan 25, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the more commonly sold tree aloes and makes an impressive landscape specimen. Like Aloe marlothii, this is a monster of an aloe- gets huge, fat-leaved, top-heavy heads with profuse, huge red orange flower stalks. It is a beautiful plant. The leaves are a bluish-green and tend to be a bit spikey (not as bad as Aloe marlothii which looks very similar otherwise). These two aloe seems to hybridize easily and there are a lot of mixes on the market. A seedling has intensely spiny leaves, but most of these spines eventually disappear as the plant matures. It is a fast grower and a seedling will produce fertile seed in only 4-5 years here in So Cal.

This is a highly variable species with a variety of flower and plant shapes. It also hybridizes freely and easiy... read more