Aloe
Aloe suprafoliata

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: suprafoliata (soo-pruh-foh-lee-AY-tuh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Rose/Mauve

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Blue-Green

Succulent

Provides winter interest

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Apache Junction, Arizona

Mission Viejo, California

Reseda, California

Spring Valley, California

Thousand Oaks, California

On Aug 27, 2012, cabngirl from Sonoma, CA wrote:

Started some from seed and also picked up a small plant at a nursery (couldn't resist). I'm in 9a/b-- not sure which, it's pretty marginal here, depending upon the side of the hill you are on etc, but when critical I will assume 9a for safety sake. I hope I have good luck with these. My seedlings are almost 10mos now and will get protection this winter. I'll probably also keep the young plant I bought covered as well for this coming. Love the distichous leaves. I'm in no rush to see mine mature but from the photos, I'm sure I'll like the mature plants too.

On Dec 27, 2010, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Coastal Otago, New Zealand, zone 9
A truly lovely turquoise blue when in possession of it's pale waxy bloom, this is an amazing looking plant that's still difficult to obtain down here in NZ.
Growing slowly but chugging along in it's juvenile phase, will take all kinds of heat and UV where other plants are getting burned around it. (The purple patches on the Pretoriensis are the first signs of sunburn).
I've provided a pic next to a slightly older Aloe Pretoriensis that's starting to take on it's adult spiral form; to tell them apart, I would say the Pretoriensis is greener, with thin dark leaf striations, larger and more widely spaced marginal spines, wider, flatter leaves (especially at the base).
Suprafoliata leaves are noticeably plumper and convex next to P... read more

On Feb 17, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Of the more common Aloes,i think this has the most attractive flowers. Seeing them at the Berkeley Cal. botanical garden in fall, is a treat.

On Feb 17, 2007, thistlesifter from Vista, CA wrote:

Pllant is somewhat difficult if provided too much summer water. Best left to natural rainfall in winter in California gardens.

This Aloe seems to do okay in pots.

bob
:>)

On May 10, 2006, rose_fiend from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought my specimen from the Fort Worth Cactus and Succulent Society sale a couple of years ago. It's container grown, and I am sure our zone 7b-8a winters would kill it handily. It seems to be very slow growing, though, this is the first year I have fertilized it. It still grows in a distichous form. But, I am excited about seeing it fill out.

On Jan 11, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great aloe for any size xeriscape garden. At early age, leaves are distichous (emerge on two planes only), but as ages they finally come out in a 360 degree swirl. The leaves are an attractive deep turquoise, tinged with red in cold or deep sun. Color of leaves tends to fade a bit to blue-green as plant ages and becomes mature shape. The leaves are spiny, but not terribly dangerous. THis aloe has beautiful, large flowers on thick stalks that emerge January. This aloe is SUPPOSED to be solitary, but suckering forms are becoming the 'norm' in cultivation, either due to hybridization or the lazy propagation of these rare but easier forms. Either way, solitary forms are a lot harder to find lately.

Aloe pretoriensis looks a LOT like this aloe, and is somewhat similarly dis... read more