Climbing Aloe

Aloe ciliaris

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: ciliaris (sil-ee-AIR-iss) (Info)
Synonym:Aloe tidmarshii

Cactus and Succulents

Blooms all year

By simple layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Apache Junction, Arizona

Chandler Heights, Arizona

Peoria, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Scottsdale, Arizona (2 reports)

Arroyo Grande, California

Brea, California

Chowchilla, California

Fairfield, California

Hayward, California

Huntington Beach, California

Los Angeles, California

Mission Viejo, California (2 reports)

Norwalk, California

Cape Coral, Florida

Winter Springs, Florida

Sugar Land, Texas

On Aug 6, 2013, lcadena from Riverside, CA wrote:

Does this climbing aloe have to have full sun? I live in So CA and it gets very hot here in the summer. I'd like to plant it in a bigger pot and keep on my front porch which gets a lot of light and some filtered sun. Thanks

On Jul 13, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Considered to be the only true climbing aloe as well as the fastest growing of all aloe species. Mine is potted and sitting by a super bright window.

On May 19, 2010, bob32714 from Altamonte Springs, FL wrote:

As Palmbob mentions, 25 F seems to be the region this otherwise hearty plant melts.... but this year, mine is growing back! We're in the Orlando area.

On Aug 20, 2008, rbinga from Dallas, GA wrote:

I've kept this one aloe ciliaris plant as a houseplant since 1978 (given to me by a horticulture teacher in high school). I've never known the name of it until just recently when I wrote Walter Reeves of WSB radio 750 AM to identify it. I live in Georgia near Atlanta so it must be brought indoors prior to first freeze, otherwise, as has been pointed out, it melts to mush. It has never bloomed but must be kept trimmed to fit through the door. Otherwise, it just stays in full sun all summer and needs little/no maintenance. Great plant! I'm not a seller...just happy to have finally found out what the heck it is.

On Aug 25, 2004, albleroy from Wavre/ greenhous +/- 2500 species, IA wrote:

Is a very nice flowering plant. In my garden on Tenerife it flowers nearly the complete year. I am situated at 900 meter level and can adapt several exotic plants here,

On Jan 11, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Common landsape aloe that branches profusely and climbs all over everything. EAsy to control, so wouldn't actually say it's invasive, but it can cover other stuff up if you let it. Has nice pale red to deep orange-red flowers, with yellow tips, all year round, though more so mid winter. Small leaves with insignificant spines along the edges. Makes a good hedge.
This is one of the easiest aloes to grow from cuttings- just snip off a branch, stuff it in the ground and it will usually grow well (obviously in somewhat moist but very well draining soil would be best, though I have stuck some cuttings in what looks like pure clay and they have rooted and taken off as well).

Found out this is very cold sensitve species the hard way, this Jan 07 when southern California h... read more