Aloe
Aloe meyeri

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: meyeri (MY-er-eye) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Reseda, California

Spring Valley, California

Vista, California

On Sep 19, 2004, rosanna_danna from Exeter, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I received this plant from a friend and I had never heard of it before. I would like to know more. So far it is doing great in my area but now that it's getting colder, I don't know what to do with it. My friend went to Arizona and found out what it's called. We're the only ones with an aloe meyeri to my knowledge.

On Aug 23, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Rare species in both the wild (S Africa) and cultivation, but recently has become more available. This is another of the 'hanging' species- grows from cracks in cliff walls and hangs down. I just got a seedling and so far it seems to be growing upright in a pot OK, but only had it a few months. We'll see if it wants to 'leave' the pot or not.

After growing this aloe in various locations about the yard for a year I have discovered this is NOT a good aloe for full sun, at least here in the hot inland southern California valleys... burns to a crisp, and unlike most aloes that eventualy grow into it, this one doesn't seem to. Only have one in mostly shade and it is the only of 4 that is looking good. Others are burned, brown and shrunken... one died.