Bottlebrush Aloe

Aloe rupestris

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: rupestris (rue-PES-tris) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Mid Winter

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Bonsall, California

Encinitas, California

Hayward, California

Mission Viejo, California

Reseda, California

Spring Valley, California

Vista, California

On Nov 30, 2006, thistlesifter from Vista, CA wrote:

I got this as a specimen from a well-documented collection of rare and unusual aloes. I am currently treating the plant for aloe mites (aloe cancer) and it seems to be responding.

The plant is robust and vigorous. It uptakes as much water as I get to it. It is closest to the sprinkler head and so it gets the most of any Aloe in the gardens.

I was told by an authoritative Aloe expert that until a few years ago there was one clone of A. rupestris in the USA, and it was widely propagated by offsets. 2 other trees in our gardens seem to be this "clustering Aloe". They are not nearly as vigorous as the single-stemmed A. rupestris.

I recently got 2 small seedlings of the A. rupestris from IAS. I look forward to their maturity and observatio... read more

On Jan 7, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is reportedly one of the fastest tree aloes, so if you want a spectacular flowering tree aloe and can only get seed, this is the one you want they say. However, I certainly have not had that experience. In fact, of the tree aloes, this is a slow grower. I am not sure if the Aloe rupestris grown in this country is the same A rupestris growing in S Africa. That A rupestris is nearly always a solitary stemmed aloe, yet plants here in the US are nealy always suckering. I suspect there is someone else in the US A rupestris gene pool. The US A rupestris spends too much time and energy making pups to be a fast grower. Ends up being a huge mess of plants, which, if you want a nice landscape specimen, will need some trimming up at some point. It's a S African species where it is reknow... read more