Butterfly Bush, Summer Lilac, Orange-eye Butterfly Bush 'Bicolor'

Buddleja davidii

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: davidii (duh-VID-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Bicolor
Synonym:Buddleia davidii
Synonym:Buddleja variabilis
Synonym:Buddleia variabilis
Synonym:Buddleja x weyeriana

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

King George, Virginia

Grand Mound, Washington

Ridgefield, Washington

On Aug 2, 2011, MeganAmber from Conway, AR wrote:

This is a great bush with beautiful blooms. It has grown very big even after dying down to sticks from getting too much rain. We had tons of rain for a week in the spring and I thought it was dead. It came right back and is bigger than ever!

On Sep 14, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I had this plant for 2 years. The growth of the shrub was excellent, and like my other buddlejas it flowered heavily.

However, something about the flower development was off because the buds would burst open and die the same day, so there were only ever buds and dried flowers on each branch. Not beautiful, not fragrant, and not attractive to nectar-feeders.

This condition occurred in varying temperature and rainfall conditions, so I removed the plant.

On Apr 12, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I was not impressed with this plant. All the marketing photos show a variety of colors on each flower head but the plant I had only caried the same color with golden center to each floret. I dont know if this is typical.

On May 15, 2008, victorgardener from Lower Hudson Valley, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Gorgeous flowers and of course is a butterfly magnet. But it's proven to be terribly invasive here if you don't cut every spent bloom. I have methodically pulled out every one I could find.

On Oct 16, 2006, Meredith79 from Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I think this is the only butterfy bush worth having. It is very fragrant and the fragrance is much nicer than the smell of all the other butterfly bushes I have and that I've seen in nurseries. Oh, and of course all butterflies love it! Just beware, butterfly bushes have been put on many states invasive plant lists. I keep mine dead-headed just in case, it needs it to bloom it's best anyways.

On Jan 16, 2005, slvossler from Lansing, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had this buddleia in my yard for 2 years. It is a pleasant specimen. It remains relatively small in contrast to some the others that I have. It does attract butterflies and hummingbirds into my yard. I would suggest this plant to anyone in the northern zones looking for a smaller butterfly bush to add to their garden. ( I live in zone 5b).

On Jun 16, 2004, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Just bought this one on a mailorder spring sale. I hope I'll get some blooms yet this summer (this variety has been on my wishlist since I first laid eyes on it!)

On Jan 3, 2004, KillerChihuahua from Merritt Island, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Fantastic plant, like all butterfly bushes, and this one has amazing colors - rasberry to gold.