Shumard Red Oak, Shumard's Oak
Quercus shumardii

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Quercus (KWER-kus) (Info)
Species: shumardii (shoo-MARD-ee-eye) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Brown/Bronze

Inconspicuous/none

Good Fall Color

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Atmore, Alabama

Cheshire, Oregon

Spartanburg, South Carolina

Christiana, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Azle, Texas

Moxee, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Cambridge, Wisconsin

On Apr 3, 2012, Gardeningman from Kingman, KS wrote:

The Shumard Oak is native to Eastern Kansas, but the climate in Eastern Kansas is different than in South Central Kansas, so the jury still out on how well this tree will do in SC Kansas. Right now the Shumard Oak is being mass introduced into SC Kansas without knowing for sure how well it will truly perform. The nurseries have figured out that a tree that is drought tolerant, fast growing, and is supposed to produce bright fall colors sells very well. So it seems that the push for the Shumard Oak in SC Kansas is more about marketing and sales than it is about performance. The perceived performance is that the tree will do well here. I guess we'll know for sure in about 30-40 years.
Personally, I would rather plant a tree that has been proven to do well in my area, even if it d... read more

On Jan 4, 2011, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Wow... Where to even begin putting into words all the stunning attributes of this tree, which was surely sent down to earth straight from Heaven. (I'm an atheist, by the way, but organisms like this one make me waver a bit.) They are said to live for "at least 480 years," have incredible fiery-red fall foliage, have perhaps the most elegant leaf shape of any plant native to North America, are adaptable to a wide range of soils and water situations... even their acorns are little striped works of art that remind me of Faberg eggs. But the best thing about the Shumard Oak, especially here in the Southeast, is its reliability in hurricanes. Their wood is strong, yet, like that of the Live Oak and Baldcypress, it is very flexible in high wind events, allowing them to contort with the wind... read more

On Jun 5, 2010, dianfig from Mansfield, TX wrote:

We live just south of Arlington Texas and my neighbor has 2 beautiful Shumard Oaks in her front yard. Every year the acorns seed like crazy all over yard. This year I decided to pot some of the seedlings. In one month they have grown 6 inches. I had 2 Silver Maples that I grew from seedlings found in the yard and I was going to plant them last fall. At the insistance of an aborist who was working on our Arizona Ashes last year, I am only keeping the Maples in containers for a while to enjoy their beauty. I was searching for trees to eventually replace the Arizona Ashes which do not have many more years left. I am so excited about the Shumard Oak. He said it will be a great tree to plant in my yard. Does any one know approimately how much this tree grows a year?

On Jan 27, 2005, micrographics from Moxee, WA wrote:

Our tree was planted about 50 years ago. It is the only tree on our 20 acre farm. To say the least it is the most magnificent tree. We have a swing hanging from it. My 3 children climb it. Our 3 yr old plays under it for hours. Our guinea hens perch in it. It is close to 70 feet tall and 40 feet wide. The trunk diameter is nearly 3 feet. The leaves are everywhere in the late fall and early winter. We have to rake twice but the shade is worth the raking. Our tree's leaves turn bright yellow & red in October or late September. They stay on the tree till December but are brown by the time they fall. We seem to have a late leafing tree. It looks dead almost till late Spring. The leaf buds are visible but as spring comes and ends we initiallly wondered our first year why the tree was... read more

On Jan 6, 2005, MongoX from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

The Shumard Red Oak is not normally recommended for planting west of the Brazos River due to the change from Acidic to Alkaline soil. However, if you're taking acorns from a healthy and robust Shumard growing in acidic soil, then you should be OK. Most would recommend the Texas Red Oak variety for Central to West Texas.

My tree was taken as a inches high seedling grown from one of several very old San Antonio grown trees. Planted in the late 70's it is now very large and healthy - and spreading seedlings which seem hardy when re-planted..

Here's a great public domain article on this subject:

==========================
written by Greg Grant, former Bexar County Horticulturist and Mark A. Peterson TFS Regional Urban Forester
... read more

On Dec 6, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tree can reach a height of 60 - 80'. Foliage in summer is a dark green and in autumn is a lovely red/orange color. It tolerates many soil conditions, including urban settings. It grows quite quickly and makes a great shade tree.

On Aug 22, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a nice tree with fall color. I noticed one in my neighborhood today that appears to be about 10 years old. My neighborhood is in dire need of shade trees and this is a unique choice for this area. I would even be considered an alternative to a scarlet oak. They can get big, 60-90 feet and can have a broad spreading shape in maturity. The broad leaves are quite large, about 6". Acorns measure .625 - 1.125"

These are known to tolerate poor soils and drought and has been found ocurring mostly in wet sites but also in dry sites. And also a pretty fast grower for an oak but along with that comes a wood that isn't quite as strong as other Quercus. I recommend this be grown in Florida for shade growth rate and foliage, especially as an alternative to exotics.