PlantFiles: Ice Plant
Delosperma ashtonii

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delosperma (del-oh-SPUR-muh) (Info)
Species: ashtonii

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #4 of Delosperma ashtonii by kniphofia

By QCHammy
Thumbnail #5 of Delosperma ashtonii by QCHammy

Positive BajaBlue On Oct 11, 2009, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The foliage of this Delosperma has flattened, three sided succulent leaves. It forms a low, creeping groundcover to 4" high which in summer and early fall is covered with magenta
flowers with a light colored eye.

Give it sun and and well drained soil, particularly in winter. Drought tolerant but appreciates regular water during the growing season.

Use as a groundcover in rock garden or raised bed, or in a container. Zones 7-9. South African grassland native.

Positive PhilsFlowers On Jun 22, 2007, PhilsFlowers from Ocean Park, Surrey, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

I was not sure how successful this plant would be for me as it is not supposed to be winter hardy here in Surrey, B.C. (Canada). It grew in several places along a rock wall in a bed next to the driveway. Facing southwest seemed to be the best location for it here. Unfortunately, all the outside ice plants died last winter when Arctic air poured out of the Fraser River Valley onto us. Under the cedar trees, where this plant grew there was no snow cover so it quickly froze and died. I had hoped it would come back from the root stock, as it has before in really cold weather, but didn't. As we never know when this is going to happen I always keep a bit of this in a pot in the house so I still have it and this year bought a yellow variety of ice plant.

All it says on the tag is Ice Plant "Yellow" and nothing more. I truly hate it when supplier can not give you any more information than that. However, if I can manage to get my plants, which now fill about 1/4 of my back patio, planted before winter, it should be spectacular. Does anyone have any information on Ice Plant "Yellow"? Thanks in advance for any info.

Positive Todd_Boland On Oct 16, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

It is claimed that this one is hardy in my area but with our winter wet, I wouldn't chance it. I've grown it in a pot for 3 years. It flowers from June till frost. I overwinter it in an unheated basement window. Highly recommend this one for people in dry areas as the flowers are 2-3 inches across and its nearly everblooming in the summer months.

Clovis, California