PlantFiles: New Zealand Spinach, Warrigal Greens
Tetragonia tetragonoides

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tetragonia (tet-ruh-GON-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: tetragonoides

Thumbnail #2 of Tetragonia tetragonoides by joeysplanting

Thumbnail #3 of Tetragonia tetragonoides by kennedyh

Thumbnail #4 of Tetragonia tetragonoides by kennedyh

Thumbnail #5 of Tetragonia tetragonoides by kennedyh

Positive patronsaintof On Sep 11, 2008, patronsaintof from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I am just growing this from seed for the first time--right now all I have are tiny seedlings (from germinating them in a wet paper towel). However, I was already fond of this plant from my urban foraging days in San Francisco. It grows well along the sandy beaches on the ocean side (especially at Fort Funston and the end of Golden Gate Park). One reason why New Zealand Spinach is a great wild food to forage in coastal areas is that it does well in soils with high salinity levels, where other plants might struggle. The leaves, consequently, are actually a little salty, and really delicious. I'm sure the ones I grow at home won't be salty, but try some of the wild ones if you can!

Positive chicochi3 On Jul 29, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted the seeds for New Zealand spinach in 2006. It comes back every year and makes a nice addition to a fresh salad.

Positive stellamarina On Dec 7, 2007, stellamarina from Laie, HI wrote:

I just checked on this site because I wanted to be absolutely sure that I had the plant id right. See this plant growing wild on sandy dune areas on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. This morning on my beach walk, after several days of big rain, I found that thousands and thousands of little seedlings had come up.....looked like a lettuce farm! Young and tender free veges for the picking. Anyways it shows that this NZ spinach will live just fine in our alkaline coral sand without any help and it seeds just fine. Aloha

Positive VEGGIEHAPPY On Jul 13, 2007, VEGGIEHAPPY from New Braunfels, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is so easy to grow, and it loves the heat.
I noticed it says you can't grow from seed, but that's how I grew mine - from a packet of seeds.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 2, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Not a true spinach, but similar in flavor and usage. Large strong spreading plants branch freely. Small brittle fleshly green leaves, great for fresh summer greens. Thrives in hot weather, will not bolt or get bitter like true spinach. Best when 4" tips of branches are picked all summer and fall. New Zealand native brought to Europe by Captain Cook in the 1770's. Seeds are slow to germinate. 50-70 days.

Positive Gabrielle On Feb 5, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This produced all season long for me in great quantity. It has a nice flavor, and I will plant it again.

Fayetteville, Arkansas