Baby's Toes

Fenestraria rhopalophylla subsp. aurantiaca

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fenestraria (fen-es-TRAY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: rhopalophylla subsp. aurantiaca
Synonym:Fenestraria aurantiaca
Synonym:Fenestraria rhopalophylla f. aurantiaca

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Yellow

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Baywood-los Osos, California

Long Beach, California

Monterey Park, California

Roseville, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Vista, California (2 reports)

Fort Myers, Florida

Melbourne Beach, Florida

Picayune, Mississippi

Azalea, Oregon

North Augusta, South Carolina

Brookeland, Texas

Wellman, Texas

On Jul 28, 2011, abudoggie from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

I bought two tiny plants at Lowe's Home Center in May and planted them together in one pot, side by side. I thought that they were exactly the same but they are slightly different. Aside from growing SO FAST (they are all one clump now), they are blooming and have two different color flowers. So now I have one big baby toes plant with white AND peach flowers ~ I love this plant! And she apparently loves Huntington Beach, Ca.

On Dec 12, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This pretty hates to be overwatered. Mine produces white flowers in early winter. Mine is potted outdoors and if I expect more than a shower, I put a plastic bag over it, for fear it will rot.

On Feb 18, 2008, concretebrunett from Brookeland, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Bought two clumps from Wal-Mart in late spring 2007. One promptly died, the other has done very well.
I'm in zone 8B in southeast Texas, which can get very cold in the winter, and the daggum thing sent a bloom out in January!!
It is now February, it's still outside and it's got baby "Baby Toes" coming up, and possibly yet another flower.

On Nov 10, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Looks like something that would rot at the first sign of frost, but ended up being pretty hardy for southern California- does well in full blazing sun, as well as some shade.. but IS prone to rot in pots if kept too moist. Mine flowers all summer and fall, nearly til winter. Doesn't grow much, though. A 3" clump pretty much stays a 3" clump for a year or so.... probably grows a bit, but not that I can tell.

On Sep 15, 2004, kbads from Kirksville, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I actually know very little about growing succulents, but I purchased several at Wal-Mart this spring just because they are so very COOL and unusual. This one is doing the best by far - it has at least two open blooms now, with about 4-6 more getting ready to go. I learned that Wmart gets their plants from Kactus Korner ( - they sell wholesale only,) and I can honestly say that most of them are doing just fine, but none were identified, which I found quite annoying. Cheap though! $1.19 - 2,99 each for 2-4 inch pots. Of course this will not be hardy in my zone, but I am looking forward to moving them indoors for the winter to see if I can keep them alive!