PlantFiles: Zinnia
Zinnia 'Profusion Orange'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Profusion Orange
Additional cultivar information: (Profusion series; AAS winner)

Not Applicable

Orange

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
Flowers are good for cutting

By htop

By dmj1218
Thumbnail #6 of Zinnia  by dmj1218

By Marilynbeth
Thumbnail #7 of Zinnia  by Marilynbeth

Positive uviolet On May 11, 2012, uviolet from St Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I absolutely adore the Profusion Orange zinnias - they looked fantastic, attracted bumble bees and butterflies, grew extremely well with no powdery mildew and even here in Michigan were blooming after Halloween.

The only real downsides were bug related. Asiatic Garden Beetles were going after all of these like mad. I was picking off/crushing 10+ beetles on each (still tiny) plant nightly during the peak of their season. Before I realized the problem, I was pretty sure I was going to lose all of the zinnias and a couple which were reduced to a single stem in just a few nights. After the "swarming" was over, however, every single one lived and grew significantly, even the one that I'd stuck in a mostly shady spot.

Unfortunately, they've been hard to find here the past two years - the double flowered "Profusion Golden" that is everywhere instead is just ugly compared to the single flowered Profusion Orange.

Positive rntx22 On Nov 28, 2010, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is one of the best zinnias I have ever grown. It's still blooming profusely here & it's almost December!! Blooms last a long time. It attracts butterflys and so far it is the first zinnia I've grown that did not get powdery mildew. Did fine over the very hot dry summer in Houston, but also can tolerate a good soaking when we get a lot of rain. I have been scattering the seeds around my garden all year so I've been welcomed with a continuous supply of new plants all year! Super easy to start from seed, and there is plenty of it to share.

Positive Stephivicious On Nov 6, 2008, Stephivicious from Altamonte Springs, FL wrote:

I love this plant, I bought it for 99 cents at lowe's because of the beautiful bright orange color & tons of flowers & it is now the size of a small shrub, still flowering in early November, II have tons of seeds so if it does die over the winter I can replant it next spring.

If anyone wants seed's from this plant, let me know, I have tons to spare!

Positive ga_peach On Oct 26, 2007, ga_peach from Jefferson, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought this plant because I thought it looked pretty. It grew up like a small shrub and I love it. Now I am collecting the seeds so that I will have some next year too. The color is very bright and like others have said, it seems to be one of the few flowers to survive southern summers and clay soil without scorching. Even through our record drought this year, it has still looked beautiful with no water for very long periods. It is even still going strong and it is the end of October.

Positive Marilynbeth On Aug 10, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I always like growing it for the Butterflies and for its looks. I don't have to be concerned about mildew either.

Positive digitalbanzai On Nov 4, 2006, digitalbanzai from Arlington, TX wrote:

This stuff did great for us. We have terrible clay soil and our backyard gets almost 16 hours of sun a day. It was pretty much the only thing that could survive the onslought of sun and drought, and it survived in style. Definitely getting more!

Positive Joan On Aug 13, 2006, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

The profusion series of zinnias are new to me this year, but I will make sure to plant some every year from now on. They have performed extremely well through this extremely hot and dry summer with minimal watering and care. In mid August when some of the annuals are starting to decline and show signs of stress, these are still bright and beautiful.

Positive cnswift On Jan 28, 2006, cnswift from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

This is my new favorite little flower. I planted it late last summer and it is still blooming! It is also much more rabbit resistant than most other flowers, which is a big appeal in my neighborhood. I am hoping for some volunteers sometime in the spring - what a joy that would be! I agree with the previous person's comment about the pink however, they were a bit of a dissappointment after the 'profusion' of the orange. Enjoy!

Positive beclu727 On Sep 24, 2004, beclu727 from Dacula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought a six-pack of these in late April. They are still going strong in September surviving the remnants of Frances and Ivan. I am collecting seeds and hope to have many next year.

Positive htop On Jan 5, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
The 'Profusion' series of zinnia was named an All American selection in 2001 and the noted horticulturist and author Alan Armitage has stated that it is the best zinnia on the market. The praise showered on this series of zinnia is due to its consistent performance, ability to thrive in cool, warm and hot weather, early bloom set and tolerance of a variety of diseases. It is more powdery mildew resistant than most zinnia varieties.

Bushy and medium-sized in height, the plants produce single, 2-3 inch velvety orange blooms and bloom continuously all season. The flowers are excellent for cutting, although the flower stem is short, and have a good vase life. Butterflies love them.

Plant in beds or containers in full sun in fertile well drained soil. It will tolerate partial shade, but it requires at least 6 hours of sun in order to give its best performance. I fertilize mine monthly with a balanced liquid plant food. Do not over water and do not overhead water. Although deadheading is not necessary, it does encourage more blooms and adds to the "tidiness" of the plant. It will self-sow. Last year, spider mites were a slight problem.

The other colors in the 'Profusion' series are cherry and white. I have grown the white successfully, but the cherry have been disappointing for 2 years in a row for some reason. I planted them in a bed that is different than the bed in which I planted the white and the orange ones. After buying them in 4 inch containers and planting them, the colors of the blooms faded to a whitish color. The new blooms were not the color they should be either ... devoid of the bright cherry pink. This may be due to the fertilizers in the soil. I had conditioned this soil for pansies and it contained heavy amounts of bloodmeal and bonemeal.

I have planted the orange 3 years in a row and they have been the best performers of the "Profusion' series both in containers and in the ground.

Jonesboro, Arkansas