Variegated Pineapple Flower, Pineapple Lily 'Sparkling Burgundy'

Eucomis comosa

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Eucomis (YOO-com-iss) (Info)
Species: comosa (kom-OH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sparkling Burgundy

Roswell, New Mexico

Andrews, North Carolina

Burlington, North Carolina

Durham, North Carolina

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Kure Beach, North Carolina

Lexington, Virginia

Norfolk, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 18, 2015, j43fox from Wichita, KS wrote:

Grows reliably in my Zone 6B garden. It has increased over the years and needs to be divided. I am not able to find information on when to dig and divide.

On Jul 6, 2014, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is growing much bigger and wider than stated in the above description. Plus I'm in zone 7a and it has been hardy here for a couple of years. It is very unusual and striking. I'm glad to be growing it!

On May 27, 2012, swiiila from Durham, NC
United States wrote:

One problem with the pineapple lily is that the leaves flop. They warned me of this at Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill, NC where I bought it and sure enough before I could get one of them in the ground two of its leaves had flopped over and developed a tear. I had to prop them up with mulch and a rock. The other one I bought did not do that. Hopefully once it gets used to the site it will produce some new leaves. I wonder if I should cut the floppy ones off. For now I am not because I wouldn't have much plant left.

On Jul 26, 2010, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

This is a great addition to a Houston-area garden. I grow mine in a part-sun, part-shade spot. The blooms last a long time, although I do stake them (probably due to the part-shade situation). They have multiplied well (after several years 3 became 10), but are not aggressive. In my garden, the foliage is most colorful in spring, but in summer is more green than red (again, it could be lack of full sun). Everyone who sees them, asks what they are, where did I get them, and will I share (eventually). My three bulb start came from PlantDelights.

On Nov 7, 2006, gldandrews from Andrews, NC (Zone 6a) wrote:

Just noticed the growing zones for this plant . States hardy to zone 8b, but I have been growing Pineapple lillies for years in the garden in zone 6b without any special mulching.
Started with one bulb and now have several beautiful plants that bloom wonderfully each year.

On Jul 8, 2005, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta. More purple in the spring, greener in July (see photo). Saw on TV how to propagate: take one leaf and cut into 1" pieces, stick into pots! New plant-lets in about a month. If this works, I'll post a pix of the baby plants in about a month. Beautiful plant. Easy to grow, adds a new plant each year for me.