Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin 'Jarrahdale'

Cucurbita maxima

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: maxima (MAKS-ih-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Jarrahdale
Additional cultivar information:(aka Jaradale)

Type:

Kabocha (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:

Gray

Size:

12 to 20 pounds (5 to 9 kg)

Habit:

Madison, Wisconsin

Park Falls, Wisconsin

Phillips, Wisconsin

On Apr 30, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests, inc.: The Jarrahdale pumpkin is an Australian heirloom. It is deeply ribbed with a shiny slate bluish-grey skin and golden to orange colored flesh. Though it is a unique pumpkin for autumn or Halloween displays, you can also carve it or bake it just like any other pumpkin or squash. Its flavor is nutty and sweet, and its texture is stringless. Fruits grow to 6 to 12 pounds, 10" or larger in diameter, and have a long storage capability.

On Oct 2, 2007, wendee from Phillips, WI wrote:

I am doing a story for the paper I work for on a man who grew these in Northern Wisconsin (Price County), and the smallest one he had was 21 pounds. The largest was 35. He didn't use any fertilizer. I think these are really pretty, and I imagine that carved they would look amazing with the contrast between the blue-green skin and the brilliant orange insides. He told me they are sweet and they store well.

On Nov 15, 2006, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I think Blue/Gray needs to be added to the Mature Skin Color selections...it averages 100 days to maturity

On Jul 7, 2006, Galina from Northamptonshire,
United Kingdom wrote:

Grows well in central England. Tastes very good too.

On Jun 28, 2006, mboston from Granville, NY wrote:

I bought a Jaradale pumpkin at a farmer's market two years ago, and have planted seeds from that pumpkin for the past two seasons. The pumpkins have a really unusual, shiny gray-green skin and thick, bright orange flesh. They do resemble the shape of Cinderella's carriage pumpkins, maybe being even more deeply lobed. I carved that first one for Halloween, which was difficult due to the thickness of the skin, but the glow of the orange interior contrasted with the greenish skin was really incredible. These pumpkins would make a great companion to Luminas and Cinderella's carriage for fall decorations.
I started the seeds indoors, about three weeks before last frost, in order to give enough time in my zone 4 garden. I transplanted after last frost, which they tolerated well.... read more

On Jan 1, 2006, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Beautiful and unusual winter squash. Looks kind of like a blue-grey pumpkin. Flattened with thick ribs. It has turned a mottled peach-blue for me after a few months of storage. Delicious too.

On Nov 22, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An older open pollinated wineter squash from Australia. (100 day) About 10 lbs, with slate gray rind and orange flesh. A good storage squash.

On Nov 22, 2004, Kachinagirl from Modesto, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I highly recommend this for winter squash lovers. Mild, sweet, nutty flavor. It is large (whole one pictured weighed 15 lbs) and feeds many people!!!! This one was purchased at a fruit stand, but next year I will grow my own.

On Jan 5, 2004, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Gorgeous blue/gray color and great pumpkin-esque shape combine to make this a wonderful feast for the eyes. With any luck, I'll be able to comment on its taste next winter...